hi! from new member

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
hello all!

i've been knocking around the forums for a while, absorbing some of the wonderful knowledge available in these pages. after reading back about 20 pages in each forum i decided it would be rude not to introduce myself and thank everyone who has spent time uploading all the useful information here!

my name is danny (dan, daniel, spanner..... whatever works for you ;) ). i'm 21 and from lancashire. (near southport/manchester for those interested) I've always had a keen interest in the outdoors, fishing hunting and the like. my mother attributes this to my grandfather being native american but i think its more to do with reading "the sas survival manual" as soon as i could string a sentence together!

i spend a lot of time making and playing Native American flutes (if anyone would like to learn more about them then i'm more than willing to share what i know) and there is nothing i love more than sitting at a fire (or my thermos flask "hobo stove") and whittling a flute, dreamcatcher or spoon etc.

one thing this site has inspired me to do is go for more of a close to nature approach to camping. i ordered a tarp, some para cord, a new knife and a flint and steel striker yesterday and plan to do a couple of solo days with just essentials and a home made fishing rod. nothing too extreme but i'm looking forward to it. i've been busy making a hammock and getting a possibles pouch (even made the pouch) together.

thats all for now folks, i look forward to conversing with such a knowlegable lot!

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
hi dan mate, post some pictures of stuff you've made, especially the pouch, hammock and flutes so we can all "ooh" and "aaaaahhh" at your good work. welcome aboard!

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
wow, thanks for the quick replies. i'll have to dig the camera out tomorrow then! a few of the flutes i made have been gifted but i'll photograph the flutes and stand i have left though they are a few of the very first i did so not brilliant quality

since i'm digging the camera out i'll definitely do a tutorial, if only as a way of thanks.

elderberry flutes are the simplest so i'll have a go at putting the craft in to words (and pictures) and dreamcatchers are simple enough to do a tutorial of.

thanks again, any meets on in the northwest anytime soon? would love to meet some like minded folk! That campsite where the bushmoot is looks fantastic, i love wales go every year. hopefully be able to make it to one!

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
thanks for the kind replies, i've found the camera it just need charging, i have all the wood ready so i just need to do it now!

which forum section will it be best to post a tutorial in?? sure the mods have enough to do without moving mis-placed posts!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Welcome aboard Dan,
With an intro like that I know you'll fit right in here.
Any tutorials can go into the section where they are most relevant, probably Skills & DIY.

ATB

Ogri the trog

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
thanks again for the warm welcome!

dug the camera out and took a few pictures of stuff i had to hand....

these are the first flutes i ever made, the big one took 8 hours just to carve out the bore! the carry bag is drawstring, made from canvas.

DSCN7350.jpg

close up of the stands, the stands are made from elder, as is the flute at the back. the flute at the front is made from un-treated holly. most people think it is made of bone, the picture really doesn't do it justice.

DSCN7351.jpg

this is two atlatls (darts all broke, not got round to making more) and an unfinished walking stick, the stick has a bored hole for a small survival kit (ferro rod, charcloth, snare and fishing gear) and the plan is to sink a mini compass in to the top (when it finally arrives)

DSCN7352.jpg

this is my new DPM tarp, a very simple DPM belt pouch and my thermos flask hobo stove in drawstring flectarn case.

DSCN7353.jpg

this is the hobo stove set up with sponge, charcloth, oak carved (but yet to be oiled) spoon, teabags and one of my home made hexi block (another tutorial maybe?)

DSCN7354.jpg

the hobo stove all packed up.

DSCN7356.jpg

thats it for now, as soon as i get the time i will start the flute and dreamcatcher tutorial. am still getting used to this camera.

have a good day!

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
another couple of bits......

made a couple of drawstring bags from canvas for my tarp and hammock.

DSCN7378.jpg

and this is the hammock set up on my landing. not had time to test it yet, thats scheduled for tomorrow. i've triple stitched it and its a double layer of strong canvas so fingers crossed it should hold me (12st) just need to get some webbing now so i can get rid of that unsightly blue rope!

DSCN7379.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE