Hi Everyone!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 15, 2006
Milton Keynes
Hey, just thought I'd introduce myself:

I'm here because I have a drinking problem.
Its been several days since my last drink. :umbrella: (Awaits fruit and veg)

Names Matt, I'm 23 living in Milton Keynes very soon moving to Towcester which is up the road, closer to where I work, northampton.

I've always wanted to be adventurious, so hopin to sign up here and learn some neet tricks but more importantly new friends!

Was just curious do you guys meet up? When you planning to next and what do you guys n gals get up too? :You_Rock_

(Awesome smilies BTW).

Im also considering signing up to this --> http://www.mkmountaineering.btinternet.co.uk/ but undesided just yet :)

Anyway long intro, so 'hi' look forward to getting to know you guys.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi Wind, welcome.
Bill Bailey did a very funny bit on Milton Keynes/ Marilyn Manson in his DVD, Part-Troll, you just reminded me.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hello Matt.......Welcome here, good luck with quitting the drink mate..
Meets do happen, have a look through the meet ups and social chatter threads, there is usually something going on somewhere.....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Welcome Matt, enjoy the forum, they are a friendly lot here, and good luck with the drinking, take it one day at a time mate

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Hi Matt....some jokes don't read quite as good as they might the thread's gone a bit AA on you :lmao:

I don't know the club but they get up to N.Wales quite a bit by the look of it which is good if you like the mountains like me. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Montivagus said:
Hi Matt....some jokes don't read quite as good as they might the thread's gone a bit AA on you :lmao:

I don't know the club but they get up to N.Wales quite a bit by the look of it which is good if you like the mountains like me. :)

Its the nurse in me, shows at times I guess ;)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Greetings Wind,

Yep, there are quite a lot of opportunities to meet. Most are local "unofficial" but there are a couple of "Bushmoots" each year, the next one in December.

Oct 15, 2006
Milton Keynes
Awesome! I'd really like to learn the arts of bushcraft.

Can anyone suggest where I go from here? I live in a City which will probably prosecute me if I start fires, knick bits of trees and bushs... and lets not forget the expensive rent on having to camp out in the 'wilderness'. :rolleyes:

Was considering getting a good knife, as I know its the most important tool in the bush, right? But how and what do I get that convinces the local bob that im not into the fashionable game 'stabby stabby' ?

Hi WiND,

Glad that you are "getting into" bushcraft - this forum is full of people that will share knowledge and skills with you.

I'd not recommend getting a knife that costs a lot of money at this stage, prolly just a Frost Mora Clipper about ten quid, holds quite a good edge and you won't be too sad if you lose/break it. Have a look on ebay, here's a quick link to one so you can get the idea click here

If you save some money on the knife you should be able to put some money into some other kit to help get you going :)

Best of luck with the future mate, take care.

Phil.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
WiND said:
Awesome! I'd really like to learn the arts of bushcraft.

Can anyone suggest where I go from here? I live in a City which will probably prosecute me if I start fires, knick bits of trees and bushs... and lets not forget the expensive rent on having to camp out in the 'wilderness'. :rolleyes:

Was considering getting a good knife, as I know its the most important tool in the bush, right? But how and what do I get that convinces the local bob that im not into the fashionable game 'stabby stabby' ?

Get yer self over to www.britishblades.com a lot of us here are members so as i was once told there you will find friendly faces also :) Depending on budget and type of use some of the guys there will make you one :D (not as expensive as you think ;) )

Oh and welcome.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Welcome Wind,

You can find lots of useful skills, knowledge and advise here on the forums and the magazine, tis a great place.

I recently purchased a Frosts - Mora, (Swedish, High Carbon) knife from here . And I was very impressed with the sharpness and edge the knife holds. I spent £30 on a knife years ago however this new Mora cost me £7.50 and holds a much better edge. I would highly recommend this knife for you to start out with.

what do I get that convinces the local bob that im not into the fashionable game 'stabby stabby'?
I think the main thing about you carrying a knife is where you are and what your doing with it that counts. Carry it responsibly; having it to hand only in appropriate places, ie. not down the street or in a pub. :rolleyes: If your at a local wood cutting a sappling with your knife I dont think your local bobby would be too concerned even if he did come across you.

If you do find yourself interested in Bushcraft I would recommend subscribing up to the Bushcraft magazine here on this website too. Its packed with great info and good to have to hand. Apart from the obvious skills of bushcraft you will find bushcraft can take you off into many different areas too; from knife making or just sharpning, archery, cooking (with free wild food!), basket making, photography and many many more.

Enjoy and hope to see you around the campfire one day. :cool:

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
WiND said:
He was in Milton Keynes? Or took the pi$$ out of milton keynes? :confused:

TBH having the micky taken out of MK happens a lot :p

He said that Marilyn Manson did a concert at MK. Apparently Manson used to chant the name of the town he was performing in to get the crowd going. Bill Bailey said so there was this 8 foot transsexual in a rubber corset down on one knee yelling "Milton Keeeeeeeeeeeynes! Milton Keeeeeeynes!"
He didn't realise that it wasn't "That sort of town"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE