Hey Good To Be Here

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 29, 2010
Kent
Hey everyone,

I am new to the site. I was a member of a bushcraft forum previously, however not too sure if it was this one as I was not a member for very long. Was very busy and so didn't have much time to come on.

Anyway, im Seventeen years old and I am interested in getting into Bushcraft. I don't really have much experience apart from the odd camping & fishing trips but nothing too special. Everyone here seems really nice and I really look forward to being able to try out some of the many new skills I will come across as I enter the world of Bushcraft.
I love the outdoors and a lot of the stuff I have seen on Ray Mears' shows I have been dying to try out. It is a bit tricky for me as none of my friends are really into this kind of stuff and how can I learn just on my own? Anyway, that's what I'm here for, to learn, to meet new people with similar interests and to pursue a passion that I haven't really taken too much time to pursue.

Finally, if anyone has any suggestions of how to get into bushcraft? How to start to learn the basics? Or any suggestions on some gear I should look into, although I don't really have any money at the moment, then that would be great! Thanks for your time.

Sorry for the lengthy entrance ;)

Kindest Regards,
Liam

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Welcome aboard Liam,
Don't get het up with having to buy loads of new gear just because it seems like the right thing to do - read loads and try putting some ideas into action with the materials you have around you. After that, maybe try to get along to some local meetups to see what sort of kit is available - all before making the descision to actually buy anything.

Anyway, enjoy your time here.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Liam - welcome to the forum

Good advice from Ogri, just chill out around here for a while and you'll soon pick stuff up.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and Welcome!
If you have been camping then you probably already have a selection of kit that will get you started.
Try and get on a couple of local meet-ups and see what works, rather than looking in catalogues that promote nearly everything as "essential to Bushcraft" :D
There are lots of tutorials etc on making your own gear from such items as brambles and old tin cans, recycling "charity shop treasures" and skip diving.... it need not cost a fortune to get your kit up to scratch if you can do a bit of DIY!
Check out the "Traditional Skills and DIY" threads for inspiration.... or failing that the "Makers Market" and "classified" threads.
Good luck and good bushcrafting!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE