hexi stove toast?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mickos

Jul 3, 2018
Edinburgh
Has anyone tried or have any thoughts on cooking toast using a hexi tablet?
ignoring the method, im more thinking about if the bread would soak up nasty fumes etc. whether it would taste horrible or even if it tasted fine would it be dangerous / not recommended.

i really hate the smell of them before being lit but never had a problem boiling water / milk with them. but maybe thats because the pot is giving some kind of barrier as opposed to bread which the fumes would head straight into.

or any other suggestions on how to make toast with a stove?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Common here was to buy a wire mesh radiant heat toaster that sits atop the petrol burner of a classic Coleman stove.
Sort of a 4-sided pyramid shape with an open top.
Takes a little learning to get the heat right. Worked really well. Two burners, 2 toasters, family of 4 = just fine.

Yes! Petrol-flavored toast on a bug-infested rainy morning in northern Canada is everything you can imagine.

Personally, I'd fry some bacon. Eat that and drink coffee and fry the bread as a launching pad for strawberry jam.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The toasters used for a camping gas burner should work - they just heat up a metal tray under the mesh so, theoretically, none of the fumes should get to your bread. I wouldn't eat anything 'grilled' over a hexi tablet :( - but, as Robson Valley says, just fry you bread or even dry-fry it on a skillet or something. If you're travelling light (and that can be the only reason to use a hexi stove in my opinion :) ) it may be more difficult.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMPING-TO...=1532554984&sr=8-4&keywords=gas+stove+toaster

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The most i ever 'cooked' on hexy was heating up rat packs and using the water for a brew.

You could taste the stuff in the tea/coffee, i wouldn't bother using it for toast.

The new firedragon is much better imo.

Reactions: mickos and wingstoo

mickos

Jul 3, 2018
Edinburgh
thanks guys that's confirmed that I shouldn't cook directly over it. seen those toasters in B&m and I have other options for cooking but was just generally looking for advice on the fumes from those tablets as I'm new to them. was camping last night and just took a wee fold up coughlans grill that sits above a campfire. no chemicals involved

mickos

Jul 3, 2018
Edinburgh
Common here was to buy a wire mesh radiant heat toaster that sits atop the petrol burner of a classic Coleman stove.
Sort of a 4-sided pyramid shape with an open top.
Takes a little learning to get the heat right. Worked really well. Two burners, 2 toasters, family of 4 = just fine.

Yes! Petrol-flavored toast on a bug-infested rainy morning in northern Canada is everything you can imagine.

Personally, I'd fry some bacon. Eat that and drink coffee and fry the bread as a launching pad for strawberry jam.
sounds great apart from the bugs :)
northern Canada looks beautiful. camped in the Scottish wild last night and had toast bacon and coffee , forgot the strawberry jam though

Reactions: Robson Valley

mickos

Jul 3, 2018
Edinburgh
The most i ever 'cooked' on hexy was heating up rat packs and using the water for a brew.

You could taste the stuff in the tea/coffee, i wouldn't bother using it for toast.

The new firedragon is much better imo.
sounds cool that they are 'green do they burn as well/long as a hexi tablet and do they smell bad?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a lot of unburnt hydrocarbons that come off a sawdust/wax flame.
Condensed on the bready thing, that ought to be a revolting flavor.
Coleman petrol off that wire rack toaster was bad enough.
Extra special camping taste to be masked with strawberry jam.

Radiant heating from hot metal should be the cleanest taste.

Bacon fat rules the frost on the morning grass.

Reactions: Billy-o

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

yes true, hadnt thought of the soot aspect. I dont make toast in the woods lol.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
sounds cool that they are 'green do they burn as well/long as a hexi tablet and do they smell bad?

Yes and no,

You need to accept the limitations on these stoves, they're best suited to heating water and warming already cooked food really and the issued system is designed around those ideas, although with enough tablets you could cook something but there are much better stoves for that.

The firedragon lights much easier, burns with less of a flame and smell however doesn't last as long, but long enough to get a hot meal and brew, which is fine since that's all its meant to do.

If your looking for a proper cooking stove i really recommend going for a petrol or multi-fuel stove. The coleman sportster is one of my most used stoves in the winter time, it burns hot and is very stable to use. If your looking for something that compacts down into a separate bottle and burner etc.. the only one i have is an omnifuel by primus which is also great.

Reactions: mickos

mickos

Jul 3, 2018
Edinburgh

are unburnt hydracarbons essentially soot? I make 'super candles' using melted tealights and those colour catcher things my other half always uses in the washing machine. really good for water but they put a lot of soot on my pot!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Well there will be partially burned hydrocarbons which we all call soot.
Then, there's some hydrocarbon which does "burn" but the products are everything from Carbon Monoxide
to Fullerenes ( look those up!)

Purely perfect combustion should see no more than Carbon Dioxide and Water (vapor).
Man, you can taste the dog's breakfast of chemicals.
Just don't.
Even the Coleman toast had a petrol=-product flavor.

We got pretty good at doing toast in a mesh rack over a real cooking fire of coals.
You know? If anything, making toast over an open wood fire is a gigantic lesson in cooking heat.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buckminster Fuller carbon soot and strawberry jam = bush breakfast at its finest.
Speaking of soot, we've got so many big wild fires that besides an orange sun and 1 mile visibility,
it is raining fire ash. Slim black bits of pine and spruce needles.

Jan 5, 2007
essex england
Fire dragon fuel over hexi blocks. we use a folding toaster bought from go out doors, made by Hi Gear, when we go camping. It works well but i have only used a gas stove to provide the heat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE