Hexi in Aircraft Hold Baggage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Ian, thanks for the offer - bought some in Oxford on arrival, and all went well. Brilliant three days - think we picked the only weekend not to see rain in about three months.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Dangerous air cargo is fine, if handled/loaded properly. Carrying dangerous goods in normal luggage on a passenger aircraft does not constitute "properly" ;)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
In a word. No.

Needs a proper hazard label and a NOTOC issued. I'm guessing you didn't have one of those (and I'd wager not many people here know what it means)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No. Properly packed would be if it were packed and marked/plaquarded IAW MOT and airline regs as "hazrdous cargo" and showing just what class of hazard. Also it would possibly need to be segregated from other cargo that might be incompatible and Not on a passenger flight.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The Captain's not responsible for reading the manifest there? Seems redundant. Maybe that's a good thing.

What do you mean by "there"? Notification to Commander gives details of what's being carried so ATC can be informed if required in case of an emergency

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What do you mean by "there"? Notification to Commander gives details of what's being carried so ATC can be informed if required in case of an emergency

I mean the captain (PIC) should already know what's in his hold from reading the manifest (this depends on anything hazardous being properly plaquarded and manifested of course) No further notification should be required.

At least that's the way we always built our chaulks.

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Perhaps it's different on a cargo aircraft. I was talking about loading dangerous goods onto a passenger aircraft.

Anyway, the point is that Hexamine is dangerous goods and probably shouldn't be packed into someone's luggage. I've been unable to find a definitive answer as to whether it's prohibited as some DG are allowed to be carried by passengers. I'll concede that carrying one packet in a suitcase is probably OK but having larger quantities isn't.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Perhaps it's different on a cargo aircraft. I was talking about loading dangerous goods onto a passenger aircraft.

Anyway, the point is that Hexamine is dangerous goods and probably shouldn't be packed into someone's luggage. I've been unable to find a definitive answer as to whether it's prohibited as some DG are allowed to be carried by passengers. I'll concede that carrying one packet in a suitcase is probably OK but having larger quantities isn't.

That was the point I was making.... Some folks here seem to try to find/fix problems that are not there....:confused:

By the same token, I had no problems with the Goloks or Balisongs that were in the same hold luggage...

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Balisongs are illegal in the UK (foolish of you to admit having them) but not dangerous cargo - their carriage won't jeopardise the safety of an aircraft. Carrying flammable stuff in your suitcase is potentially dangerous and being smug and cavalier about the fact that you didn't get caught is unhelpful at best.

You've probably gathered that I work for an airline and after a cursory glance at the regulations I didn't see a specific mention of Hexamine (although it does have a UN number and appears in the ICAO Dangerous Goods Response Guide so thus has a response drill). For example, you aren't allowed to carry matches in your luggage but they're OK on your person (because if they catch fire, you'll know about it).

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
the official IATA line is no as many aircraft now have internal fuel tanks (in the baggage hold).

However as Spandit said, if properly labelled as Dangerous Air Cargo with the correct UN classification and a NOTOC issued then it may be allowed. I know Thomas Cook and Thomson both have great big signs on the wall of the hold in there Boeing 757s that it is not to be carried under any circumstances.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Many flights over here are combined (there is cargo in the hold of passenger flights) and ALL flights carry a manifest. However cargo on passenger aircraft should be innoccuous and inert; I'd generally agree that hexamine is not a good idea even on the odd chance that it might be allowed.

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I was being neither smug nor cavalier, Spandit - these items are my personal property, and I was merely stating my opinion - 'nuff said....

You seemed quite pleased that you'd smuggled potentially dangerous goods, not to mention the downright prohibited ones into this country on an aircraft. That falls under my definition of smug. Perhaps I read it wrong. I don't think that widu13 was necessarily suggesting you pretend your balisongs are antique to get around the law but that's for him to decide.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE