hestra falt glove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RJames

Forager
Jun 25, 2008
Durham, UK
Hi guys just a quick request to see if anyone has any decent pics of these gloves in the black brown colour variation as the mrs is getting me a pair for my birthday and I am not entirely convinced on the colour, I think I would prefer the white but all I can find on-line is 'press' shots and I know these sometimes don't give a true representation.

I would look at the actual gloves of course but the delivery hasn't arrived and I'm impatient!

Cheers

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Look on Rays Woodlore site Richard, pics of both colours on there.
( I have the Black, brown and very handsom they are too! )
My best.
Chris.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Not really bothered about the colour (I've got the lighter coloured ones and they are steadily darkening with use!), these are superb gloves. I would recommend getting another pair of the woolly liners at some point though; it can make a huge difference to your dexterity and safety if you can plunge your hands into warm, dry gloves!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have the white ones, the darker version will do a better job of hiding wear and dirt I'd think. As Tiley and JimmyT have suggested, get some spare liners and some Hestra wax.

gloves.JPG

:)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Are the Falts good to use then, they've always looked a bit big and clumpy to me ?

I've looked at them a few times but never committed

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
These will probably come with the wool/terry pile liners which are, I think their warmest. They also do several other liners in various materials to adapt to your needs such as silk, polartech, wool and merino wool.
They will probably also come with a mini pot of their wax, so when the gloves and wax are warm, put on the gloves and work in the wax as if you were washing your hands.
I found them warm enough down to about -25C, though now when it gets below -10C I switch to mittens. I've a pair of Helly Hansen pile lined ones which are cheap and fantastic.
As to being clumsy I can't say I've much to compare the Fält against, but don't find them excessively so.
Anyway, you're not restricted to Ray Mears's choice! Have you looked at Hestra's 'Army Leather Heli Ski' or 'Army Leather Ascent' models?

Hestra make very high quality gloves but I always laugh at the po-faced assertion on their advice page:

"Preferably, the cowhide shall come from Scandinavia, where the climate provides the best leather."

Most of the cows around these parts spend about 6 months of the year indoors sheltering from the er... Scandinavian climate!

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I got mine for dog sledding earlier this year, my feet sometimes got cold in my big Meindl boots but I never once got cold hands, down to -25 at night. I used the supplied fleece liners, and also got a pair of their silk liners so that I had something on my hands on the odd occasion when I had to take the gloves off for harnessing dogs etc. They are incredibly soft and flexible, you can do almost anything with them on. Order a size bigger than you think you need, so you've got room for different types of liner.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Are the Falts good to use then, they've always looked a bit big and clumpy to me ?

I've looked at them a few times but never committed

They look clumpy as the seams are sewn inside out, but in practice this gives a more comfortable fit as the glove is smoother on the inside and a better fit. The wool liner is thicker on the back of the hand and thinner on the palm, which also helps the feel. Go on, you know you need a pair :)

On offer http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/i...723AE785-FF29-08BD-48DABB33DC4D00EE&ref=gbase (no connection to seller etc, just though it was a good deal.)

Last edited:

RJames

Forager
Jun 25, 2008
Durham, UK
quick update guys these arrived this morning and are utterly amazing. The black brown colour I love and the fit and feel you get with whhat I thought were going to be clumpy gloves is amazing.

Best present ever.

Now just to apply some balm and we're good to go

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE