Hessian coffee bags a question.

I found a cracking hessian coffee bag the other day and decided to wash it and use the material. What I'd like to know is does anyone have an idea how to stabalise the material? I've made some mats up with it and stitched the edges (I don't mind the edges being frayed) but the actual face of the fabric leaves a mass of brown hairs everywhere and on anything it touches.

Is this unavoidable? Would spraying with a hairspray or something like that fix them?

WS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's just 'cos of the way it's spun and woven.
Tumble drier will remove most of the fluff........and it makes great firestart if you rub a bit of vaseline or wax through it.

cheers,
Toddy

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Years ago my gran and gramps had a hand made rug that his mum had made, the base of which was an old hessian sack woven through with wool made on a hand spinner and dyed with natural dyes, (apparently my great granparents were tinkers (must be where I get it from)) the rug must have been about 30 years old when I remember it and it was still going strong

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hooky rugs :cool: I've got some of the tools that make them, but apart from figuring it out I really haven't done any more.

w00dsmoke I should have made myself clear, sorry, it's the fluff that works for firestarting.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE