Herons, Rats and Fungi (picture heavy)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Pluckly is full of rats tonight and from both sides of “the great divide" which includes - I'm sure - Ashford!

Now, spank that pumpkin!

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Klenchblaize said:
Pluckly is full of rats tonight and from both sides of “the great divide" which includes - I'm sure - Ashford!

Now, spank that pumpkin!

Cheers

That went flying right by me :confused:

Toddy

Klenchblaize said:

Now, spank that pumpkin!

Cheers

LOL - Pluckley surely was full of rat last night and ghouls, ghots and goblins prolly :rolleyes:

Never go near the village un the 31st for obvious reasons - packed full of ghost hunters :eek:

I live about 2 miles away and often walk the field and woodlands. One of my favourite area is know as Screaming Woods by the locals, its been featured on TV several times, I often mooch around there in the dark and I've certainly had no super natural experiences :D

Phil.

Toddy said:
That went flying right by me :confused:

Toddy

Pluckley is a village about 2 miles from where I live and has a reputation: -

"The Ghosts of Pluckley. Whether you believe in them or not, Pluckley has the reputation of being the most haunted village in England (Guinness Book of Records 1998)." Look here or stick Pluckley in to Google.

Halloween is manic in the village full of ghost hunters and the like :-

"What better place to dally on Halloween than Screaming Wood, one of Pluckley's most haunted locations. Of course you can then recover your nerves with a well earned cup of tea at The Blacksmith's Forge Tea Room. But be warned it too has a ghost!" Here

Cheers,

Phil.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
"What better place to dally on Halloween than Screaming Wood, one of Pluckley's most haunted locations. Of course you can then recover your nerves with a well earned cup of tea at The Blacksmith's Forge Tea Room. But be warned it too has a ghost!" Here

Cheers,

Phil.

Or reindeer juice!

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
I

Eventually I had them running around within 3 feet of where I was standing. I must admit that I was amazed at their social interaction and found the younger creatures quite, dare I say it, "cute". :rolleyes: What amazed me further still was they were climbing through the oak trees of the hedge row: -

Rats can become very bold and unconcerned by the close proximity of humans. I used to see them going about their business on the lines at London tube (underground railway) stations. This, even in the rush hour with the platforms packed with people only a few feet away from them.

Rats are good climbers. We have a hornbeam outside our kitchen door with an ivy-infested trunk. A couple of weeks ago I heard something rustling in the branches and spotted bits of seedcase debris being dropped. I assumed it was a squirrel, but it turned out to be a rat munching away about 20 feet up. I don't like rats near the house, so he was despatched with the 9mm garden gun.

Burnt Ash

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
LOL - Pluckley surely was full of rat last night and ghouls, ghots and goblins prolly :rolleyes:

Never go near the village un the 31st for obvious reasons - packed full of ghost hunters :eek:

I live about 2 miles away and often walk the field and woodlands. One of my favourite area is know as Screaming Woods by the locals, its been featured on TV several times, I often mooch around there in the dark and I've certainly had no super natural experiences :D

Phil.

You should get a ghille suit, wait in the woods, then run screaming at all the ghost hunters, oh, and throw rats at them :p :nana: :naughty:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I am sure you know glowsticks can be opened and the glowing liquid used for a variety of pranks

just be careful for the glass , probably best to seive it out before painting the poor dog or a neighbours sheep :cool:

Tant

Tantalus said:
I am sure you know glowsticks can be opened and the glowing liquid used for a variety of pranks

just be careful for the glass , probably best to seive it out before painting the poor dog or a neighbours sheep :cool:

Tant

Oh yeah - glow stick liquid can be great fun :D

I also believe it in not toxic so safe with skin contact. Very dark and stressful situations with Werewolf masks covered in various shades of glow sticks can be fun :D

Phil.

Hi All,

I've fully dried the two piptoporus betulina that I gathered several weeks ago.

They have not shrunk and still look like this: -

Polypore.jpg

They are as light as a feather and as hard as old boots.

I would like to have a go using one as an coal fungus and the other as a strop.

Could any kind soul please give me some pointer in how to prepare these for the two uses?

Cheers,

Phil.

xylaria

I had good play with some dry birch polypore in the summer heat wave. I just cut the stem off and put an ember in it. Hung it up on the washing line by a piece wire. it burned for good while and kept the wasps away. I know almost nothing about firecraft though.

i am not sure what one the previous postings meant about birch polypore being tastless styrene. I have tried repeatedly to make that fungus edible and I the best I can manage it anti-spectic soaked cotton wool. But it does clear sinusitus and streppy throats in quite a remarkable fashion if you inhale the cooking vapour. :werd:

B

Bonobo Boy

Drunk at a festival 2 years ago, myself and a friend decided to break some glow sticks and coat each other.
Within a couple of minutes our skin began to burn. We had to douse ourselves in water to ease the burning.
It left no scars but it is undoubtedly toxic and not advisable to play with.
You have been warned!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE