hermits?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i found this documentry of a guy who lives on his own in the mountains http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay...0222&ei=-of_SI_rHIaQ2AK5i4GfBQ&q=hermit&hl=en
i think this guy has gone a bit mad thow, he clames to have seen a UFO and is convinsed that a beaver stole his can opener lol. he hasnt got much knolege of bushcraft like dick proenneke but its worth a watch.
do you think this is what isolation can do to you? has anybody ever come accross a hermit or tried this sort of lifestyle? (i dont mean to say that if you have tried it your nutter)

pete

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I just get an empty white box from that link.

I have just rebuilt my laptop to day though so something`s not quite right.

Uncle Alvah

Sep 27, 2008
Duncan NC
I have heard that prolonged periods without contact with other people does damage to the ol' noggin

People alone in the Alaskan bush have been known to "go bushy" for prolonged lack of contact with others, usually over a winter. There have been recorded incidents of such folks, upon being visited after such a period of time, actually fleeing and hiding from the unexpected visitors!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
People alone in the Alaskan bush have been known to "go bushy" for prolonged lack of contact with others, usually over a winter. There have been recorded incidents of such folks, upon being visited after such a period of time, actually fleeing and hiding from the unexpected visitors!

Or possibly they have a suspicious reason to be hiding away from civilisation in the first place:yelrotflm

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Great axe safety display!

I also was very intrigued by his relationship with beavers..:rolleyes:

The rule of 3:
3 seconds: react to immediate danger
3 minutes: time after which you'll suffocate
3 hours: after which hypothermia might kick-in
3 days and you'll die of thirst
3 weeks and you'll starve
3 months, and thats just the case with hermits, and you'll go 'bushy' without social interaction.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I don’t know how to take that film.
Was it genuine, had he been out there ages, if so what was he shaving with as he had little growth.
Was it set up or not any ideas?:dunno:

Some parts of the film touched me, I felt for the guy and in some ways I had a lot of respect for him.

I really would love the opportunity to try it out for myself being on my own for a long period, I am sure I would do OK as I am on my own most of the time and do prefer solitary space outdoors, but you don’t really know how you would actually cope until you try it.

I know I can do two weeks solo without seeing a sole and I really enjoyed it, did not want to come back, but two weeks is a bit different to say two months or a year. But still I would love to give it a go.:werd:

Hmmm, got me thinking again.:rolleyes:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am pretty sure this young man has not become what he is because he is living in isolation in the wild. He has come to live in the wild because he suffers from mental health problems, quite possibly schizophrenia. His relation with the beaver is quite paranoid, and his relating of his relationships with other people would seem to confirm this. It seems also to me that the guy filming was encouraging him to perform a bit, like suggesting to throw another stone at the beaver lodge and also the bit about the American allegiance thing, seems to me to be set up.

I can't find anything else on the web about him but it would be interesting to know what happend to him since that film was made.

I have to say, for someone who, apprently, lives on a diet of nuts and fish, he seems to be fairly well built. He looks like a well fed guy. He also looks like his clothes are well kept, surely someone permanently outdoors would have slightly tattier clothes.

I'm not all that sure he sounds "bushy" - more like someone acting up a bit to be honest.

As for a steamroller rolling over his bike... That sounds too much like a joke.

There's just too many oddities about it - either he's somewhat unwell, or this is a fictional-documentary.

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
I have to say, for someone who, apprently, lives on a diet of nuts and fish, he seems to be fairly well built. He looks like a well fed guy. He also looks like his clothes are well kept, surely someone permanently outdoors would have slightly tattier clothes.

I'm not all that sure he sounds "bushy" - more like someone acting up a bit to be honest.

As for a steamroller rolling over his bike... That sounds too much like a joke.

There's just too many oddities about it - either he's somewhat unwell, or this is a fictional-documentary.

I agree with you Big Shot. Something isn't quite right about it all but that's just IMO. Still, interesting to watch, cheers for posting it:)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I quite enjoyed the film real or not. The bike bit did seem like a joke tho, the flag and all that.
Makes you think though when he says he'd doesn't like bills ect. I'd love to give up earning a wage just to give it all away again 2 days later to keep a small house going. dreading the fixed rate mortgage running out. If no responcibilities id be off up them there hills, although I think i'd try and be sociable more often, just a visit to mates for a brew and shower in the local town now and again.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
I met a hermit in a bothy once, strange folk. And very difficult to feel comfortable around, given that they do not talk to you easily and I am a very sociable person. It was interesting nonetheless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE