Here's a pic for the pro-nuclear to enjoy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It wouldn't matter even if they did work efficiently that way. They would still have to be spaced slightly more than blade length apart (in ALL directions) to allow them to turn with the wind.

Actually some good results have come from closely spaced Vertical Axis Wind Turbines... :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Realisticaly its doubtful you will get your setup costs back selling to the grid unless you live to be 200 but as a back up or for the end of the world these little turbines are fun and useful.

After the great kill off from the coming plague which kills 99.99% of humans (I'll survive obviously, all preppers think they will:rolleyes:) I'll spend some of my time blowing up the nearby windfarm, its an eyesore and spoils my view.

So what you're asking is why doesn't the government send us all a tax demand for the equivalent of our next thirty years of electricity consumption and then spend it all on solar panels.

We wouldn't vote for that in large numbers, would we?

Depends how you look at it, they way you said no, don't think many would vote for them,
However if you said give us this cash and we will give you free electric for life, then I think those that could afford it very well might, but I can dream ........

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...There's a rash of small wind turbines appearing on folks houses, apparantly the energy so gained can be sold to the National Grid to defray the set up costs...

That type program has been around over here for a few decades now. It's most popular in West Texas and the US Midwestern states (obviously where they are most reliable) The homes are still hooked up to the powere companies and their electric bill at the end of the month is determined in the usual way; by the reading on the meter. The thing is that when the turbines are producing excess power those meters run backwards (as the power flows back into the grid) to lessen the overall reading. What you described as a "scam" regarding the diference in price paid is probably actually a normal practice used by ALL businesses: They sell their products (in this case electricity) at retail prices, but they buy it at wholesale prices. That's how businesses make their profits.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are very quick to pick fault but very reticent to put forward any actual work.
Your more than welcome to contribute.

I'm not "picking fault" - your calculations were out by three orders of magnitude.

You want my contribution? There are less than 500 nuclear power stations in the world. Two have failed catastrophically. Others (e.g. Three mile island) have come close. By my maths that say there is a circa 1 in 250 chance that any given reactor will fail in a spectacular way. Thats not very long odds.

SecondlyThe matter of managing the spent fuel and the decomissioning costs are also indicators that the long term implications require far more consideration than they have received to date.

Thirdly I believe we should be seeking to achieve energy independence not mortgaging our futures to yet another imported fuel

Fourthly it has already be shown that sufficient nuclear power stations cannot be built in time for the anticipated energy shortfall in this country.

I personally think that being "pro" or "anti" any technology as a "moral" standpoint is absurd.

So lets look at the alternative energies. Expensive, inflexible, not 24 hrs, costly to produce, incapable of meeting the anticipated energy shortfall. Clean running and non emitting though and I don't recall a PV panel going into meltdown.

So neither can meet our energy needs in the time available. Perhaps it might be time to build some coal fired power stations and mine the coal that we still have large reserves of and keep our energy spend inside our country and provide some much needed jobs.

At the same time, we should accept that coal is finite and look at entirely new thinking on power. Micro generation, CHP, more off grid, low voltage appliances. For me, as in so many things, the plan is to become self reliant and generate our own - far more sensible and less wasteful - no long power lines, pylons, inherant power loss etc.

Red

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
cbr6fs........I don't live in Brazil or China, I live in the UK.
As clearly said, our hydro schemes are stable and effective and we don't have vast forested lowlands to flood...

The Nevada and Arizona deserts don't have forested lowlands to flood either. But due to the Hoover Dam and the cheap electricity and water it provided, the area soon grew. In any case even without the resulting incresa in human population, the deserts were/are their own unique habitat/ecosystem. I suspect the ecosystem/habitat below the Scottish dams is also it's own unique system and whatever environmental damage done will be unique as well. But there WILL be damage. It may take years or even decades to fully understand that damage; but it will occur.

The real question is whether the gain in electricity is worth whatever damage. Generally I agree that with hydro it usually is. But the results aren't really tallied yet.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a very good point British Red,(or several, I should say) :)

The improvements in technology are demonstrated in the filters and cleaning processes we now use for fossil fuels, and it'll get better because those pollutants that we remove are actually valuable chemicals in their own right.

I'm reliably informed that under my house are layer upon layer of good coal, clay and sand. Digging it out would be a bit of a pain, right enough, but the principle holds :)

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's a very good point (or several, I should say) :)

The improvements in technology are demonstrated in the filters and cleaning processes we now use for fossil fuels, and it'll get better because those pollutants that we remove are actually valuable chemicals in their own right...

Therein lies part of both the problem and the solution. Whenever something become profitable it WILL be done. And eventually other means of power production will become profitable. Until then dirty power or eco-damaging power will be the norm.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Red wrote (snipped)
"You want my contribution? There are less than 500 nuclear power stations in the world. Two have failed catastrophically. Others (e.g. Three mile island) have come close. By my maths that say there is a circa 1 in 250 chance that any given reactor will fail in a spectacular way. Thats not very long odds."

Your maths is off now I think, you've not included other variables, time, type of reactor, current reliability, estimated life span et al, the odds would be much much much higher than 1 in 250 its not so simple a calculation Any statisticians on site?

You are right about how long they take to build though, thats why we should be pouring concrete now and stop peeing about with 'alternative' forms of energy production IMHO

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't think the maths is off Richard - two catastrophic failures, 500 reactors. Its pretty much that simple. Oh we can figure out what types fail more frequently, how long we may have to wait for failure, but the reality is still the reality. Aproaching 1/2% of nuclear reactors have failed catastrophically. Thats the bones of it.

Matter of interest - why not build coal fired power stations right now?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...You want my contribution? There are less than 500 nuclear power stations in the world. Two have failed catastrophically. Others (e.g. Three mile island) have come close. By my maths that say there is a circa 1 in 250 chance that any given reactor will fail in a spectacular way. Thats not very long odds....

OK then, lets except the number of 500 civilian reactors. Multiply that time the 60 odd years they've been in service and we come up with a figure of 30,000 "reactor years" for lack of a better term. Granted some of those reactors are newer so lets say the true figure is about 65% of that conservatively; or about 19,500 reactor years. 2 failures only comes to .0003% per reactor year of operation.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If I could pose a couple of questions :rolleyes:

Firstly, from what I gather uranium is plentyful at the moment, but it will eventually run out especially as other countries are also building more & more nuclear plants, so is it feasable to rely only on nuclear, building more plants ( & neglecting other means of energy production as some people suggest ) when it's self has only a limited timespan,?
Secondly, are we not in danger of running out of places to stock the spent fuel which needs very specific & stable geological conditions for thousands of years ? (dumping it in the Irish sea is now out of the question :D)
Thirdly, I have no idea where the UK obtains it's uranium, I presume from foreign lands ,so is there not a risk that the supply could be cut off by some future conflict or political drama.? The world is becoming a less stable place everyday.

I'd like to know your thoughts, cheers.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats one way of looking at it santaman. Another is the average person lives sixty years. So if they live close to a Nuclear reactor, there is a 1 in 200 chance of them being involved in a major nuclear incident at some point during their lives.

...and yes ged, I'm entirely serious. Unless the plan is that we stop using fossil fuels. It would make much more sense if that is the case to ban passenger aircraft for holidays before we ban electricity generation. PLenty of people are still building coal fired power stations.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
It would be interesting to know how many people here live in the vicinity of a nuclear power station.? ;)

Apparently there is a lot of regular house moving within a 5km radius of a plant ...in France anyway.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hmmm. some dubious stats being bandied about here - but that is always the way with nuclear!

One ancient, badly maintained and under-staffed reactor at Chernobyl failed catastrophically. Similarly, lots of Model 10 Fords broke down, but we don't judge the reliability of modern cars by Model 10s, do we! The Japanese one, despite being a relatively early design, was subjected to both earthquake and tidal wave, and it was only the fact that the back-up generators driving the water-cooling failed that caused a problem. 3 Mile Island - a Model 10 version - actually caused relatively little damage, even considering the poor maintenance and design (although the movie was - well - a movie pandering to the ban-the-bomb movement of the time). And other than that, very little else of note has occurred in the 50+ years these things have been running world-wide.

New designs are infinitely safer and more efficient. But lets judge them by Model 10 standards, eh? :)

As far as finite resources of uranium, that is true - "Peak Uranium" could be as close as 2-300 years! However, things like fast-breeders actually reprocess the spent uranium rods into plutonium, effectively doubling the life-cycle. And by then ( or possibly within the next 20 years) nuclear fusion plants should be up and running.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
It would be interesting to know how many people here live in the vicinity of a nuclear power station.? ;)

Apparently there is a lot of regular house moving within a 5km radius of a plant ...in France anyway.

Considering that most of the French nuclear stations are on the Cherbourg peninsula, and a sw (the prevailing wind for most of the year) would blow radiation over the SE of England, it still remains remarkably attractive to most!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE