Hennessy Hex Fly question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
OK plenty of people seem to recommend the larger Hex fly for the Hennessy Hammock. I was wondering which hex to go for as there are two options:
REPLACEMENT RAIN FLYS

30D "HEX"-SHAPED SILNYLON RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 144" x 132" hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. This lighter weight hex fly can be substituted for the regular silicone fly of the Ultralight Backpacker Asym, Explorer Ultralight Asym, Explorer Deluxe Asym or Safari for the difference in price.
$129.95

70D "HEX"-SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 144"x 120" hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. 90z , 700 g. This fly comes standard on the new Safari Deluxe but will provide generous protection from wind and rain for any model. The "Hex" fly can be substituted for the regular silicone fly of the Ultralight Backpacker Asym, Explorer Ultralight Asym or Explorer Deluxe Asym for no additional cost. Just indicate in the "Comments" section of the online orders page that you would prefer the hex fly.
I am not sure the PU-coated dimensions are accurate as the Safari Deluxe PU-coated is stated as 12' x 11' or 144" x 132" same as the silnylon.

The silnylon is obviously lighter but not loads. I understand that: PU-coated will not degrade under exposure to UV the same way silnylon does; coating on silnylon will wear off eventually and need re-coating; silnylon is more prone to fire damage; PU-coated is 100% waterproof all the time.

So why pay an extra $70? Unless it really is actually larger. Is there a noticeable difference in durability in bushcraft use?

Advice appreciated.

I contacted HH and they are happy to swap out my newly delivered (not used yet) standard Explorer Deluxe silnylon fly). No charge for the PU-coated just the shipping, duty etc $30 and I have to return the original of course. For the silnylon it is $70 plus the $30. This was regardless of where I got it just had to show proof of purchase. Great service :biggthump

BTW has anyone brought a Hex fly from Woodland Organics? what was the price?

Simon

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Paganwolf said:
I think they are 49 quid(ish) they are out of stock at the mo, im waiting for them to turn up too!! :shock: :naughty: :biggthump

Thanks PW. I emailed Jack at Woodland Organics and he said they were £49.99 inc vat for the 70D "HEX"-SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAIN FLY, model. He said they supply them but they were flying off the selves ;-). He should have a price for the slightly larger and more expensive silnylon model soon also.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE