Hennessy happiness.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Just spent the first night in my Hennessy Expedition Asym.
Great nights sleep ,very comfortable.

395_9503_L_1.jpg

Unfortunately it didn't rain so i couldn't test the tarp but i feel it's a little small.
Even if it is sufficient to keep the hammock dry i could use a little more shelter for cooking and for my kit.
Anyone upgraded the tarp on one of these?
I was thinking about using my British Army basha which is a little bit larger and would mean i have a more versatile shelter system if trees are not available to hang the hammock.
I read somewhere that hennessy do a larger tarp ,anyone know the size or price?
Cheers
RB

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I was thinking of getting one and a tarp, if only to have somewhere else dry to store gear/ sit. If needed it could act as a wide break or extra cover over the top of the HH tarp

Cheers

Mark

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
RB,

I upgraded to a custom tarp from HH. I know a ton who have had great experiences with HH, but my few encounters have been less than stellar. Anyways, that's not what this is about but is still relevant.

I ordered a custom hex shaped sil-nylon tarp from HH that is roughly 4mX3m in what they call coyote brown color. Great craftsmanship and awesome size. IIRC it was around 120USD. It leaves me enough room underneath to cook or just generally escape the rain without being tucked in. I honestly use it as a standalone shelter with a lighweight bug bivy more than with the hammock.

Nice pic, and is that fire really as close as it looks? :shock:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I wasn't aware there were different versions, nor was I offered a choice by my supplier (Oo-er... sounds a bit dodgy...), but if there's a label or somesuch I'll let you know what it says.

And cool news Jak. I know how much you've been wanting one (after falling alseep in mine...)

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
For those interested, I got my Hex-sheet from Woodland Organics; the service was fast and efficient and left me very happy indeed (especially as I ordered and received a billhook at the same time).

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Right: mini review of the hex-fly. Firstly the questions:

Do you have the sil nylon hex rain fly or the pu coated one?

Still no idea, there was no written stuff with it at all - and since I don't know what either look like it's a bit difficult to tell! perhaps Jack at Woodland Organics might be able to help out?

does it still all fit in the snake skins?
Yes... just. It's a very tight squeeze, but after a certain amount of rolling, re-rolling and re-re-rolling(!) I managed to get hammock and hexfly in the snakeskins.

When I unravelled it I was quite surprised by it size; it is easily as big as people had suggested. There are anchoring points together with a long cord at each of the six corners, and two of these have the hooks for attaching to the hammock. behind each anchoring point (on the underside of the tarp) there is a convenient pocket for putting the cord into if not in use - a nice touch.

Two of the flat sides also have points for attaching the trap to the hammock line, so you have a choice as to the orientation of the sheet - once again a nice touch. I suppose one of the main choices here is how many anchor points you might want to use: using the corner attachment to hammock you have 2 anchor points each side; with the side ones you have 3.

Once I had attached it, I lay back in the hammock and considered the view. I think it's reasonable safe to say that rain isn't likely to be a problem for me anymore. There is now a HUGE amount of space under the tarp, and the hammock is more than well protected. One minor point is that if you don't have it tensioned well the larger tarp can act a little like a sail - especially if you have the prevailing wind side raised higher than the other (I had no choice due to the location of the test, although next time I'll be a bit more careful in my choice of site).

All in all, I'm glad I bought this - it's going to be very useful in the next couple of months.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Rainboy,
In your first picture it looks like your not under the mozi net. I thought they were built in.
How is that ? :-?

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE