hennessy hammock underquilt!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi all, I love sleeping in my hennessy hammock, but fighting off the cold is always an issue. Has anyone seen the 'Nest' underquilt from here:

www.jacksrbetter.com

its a down quilt that you hang under the hammock to keep you warm- no more wrestling with the foam pad! And it weighs 20 ounces. So what do you all think... should I take the plunge?

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
sgt rock gave the underquilt a great review at
http://hikinghq.net/hammock/jacks_quilt.html

Stuart: most of the other BCUK guys seem to prefer synthetic bags, can I ask why you use down, and how appropriate you think it is for the bottom of the hammock, rain wise?
What do you use for hammock insulation?

Totally offtrack, but I just watched a UK show; Brat Camp, about problem kids who got sent off to do survival/camping stuff in Utah. I was so jealous, if only I'd been a problem child...

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Aren't hennessy bring out something as well?

James

Hi Mal, basically yes it's the same affect as sleeping on the ground with no mat in between only not as cool. A thicker sleeping with a good mat will make things warmer but something to stop the cool air touch your butt is a bounce.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Considering a piece of packing foam costing a couple of quid will insulate your hammock fine if using a sleeping bag, anything else seems expensive? or am i missing the point?

Ed

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ed said:
Considering a piece of packing foam costing a couple of quid will insulate your hammock fine if using a sleeping bag, anything else seems expensive? or am i missing the point?

Ed

Couldn't agree more Ed.

Some things are worth paying out for and some things ain't. Expensive doesn't always mean better or best!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Stew said:
Expensive doesn't always mean better or best!
Yeah. I once saw a knife to £2400! :shock: But the blade shape was terrible.

In general: Instead of buying all kit, then make it by yourself. It's almost every time cheaper and you get it right as you wan't it. :wink: For example, I made my possibles'. :pack: Just a thought.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
TheViking said:
Yeah. I once saw a knife to £2400! :shock: But the blade shape was terrible.

You have to remember that there is a large knife collecting culture. It's not necessarily going to be intended for use, and I doubt it at that price!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Stew said:
You have to remember that there is a large knife collecting culture. It's not necessarily going to be intended for use, and I doubt it at that price!
Yes that was my thought too. And a shame to lose one at that price. :shock:

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The point of the underquilt is that you don't have to worry about keeping the pad in place under you. A pad in the hammock if fine as long as you stay completely still all night. If you move, the pad will generally slide around a bit.
Hammocks are colder than sleeping on the ground, but I think the comfort level justifies the weight of more cold weather gear.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
isnt this going to just suck up all the moisture in the surrounding 1000 miles.. down sleeping bags atleast suck up watr very easily then the feathers get all stuck togeter and become in effective.. i would be skeptical about having something like that on the outside... though i know it would be in effective on the inside

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
wentworth said:
The point of the underquilt is that you don't have to worry about keeping the pad in place under you. A pad in the hammock if fine as long as you stay completely still all night. If you move, the pad will generally slide around a bit.
Hammocks are colder than sleeping on the ground, but I think the comfort level justifies the weight of more cold weather gear.
Thats why you put your thermarest inside you're sleeping bag, can move as much as you like then. :wave:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
wentworth said:
Stuart: most of the other BCUK guys seem to prefer synthetic bags, can I ask why you use down, and how appropriate you think it is for the bottom of the hammock, rain wise?
What do you use for hammock insulation?

having tried a wide variety of synthetic and down sleeping bags, down has become my first choice in most conditions.

down is much much lighter and in smaller pack size than any synthetic of equivalent insulation.

my current down bag weights 900 grams and is warm to at least -13 degrees C no synthetic bag comes close to that even with the very optimistic temperature ratings given my the manufacturers.

Down also lasts much longer than synthetic insulation

Of course the big drawback of down is that it losses almost all of its insulation when wet, but in reality even synthetic bags are not very pleasant when wet and it is a much more sensible idea to take steps to prevent your bag from getting wet than it is to choose an inferior bag on the basis that it wont be so uncomfortable when wet.

my current down bag is made out of a waterproof breathable fabric so does not suffer from the wet, however the seams are not taped so lying exposed to the rain is not a good idea, but a down bag + a lightweight bivi bag is still lighter than carrying a synthetic bag of equivalent insulation.

I personally would be quite happy to use this hammock quilt in system temperate climates, combined with a large tarp such as the HH Hex tarp or the tarp provided by jacksrbetter

however as ed pointed out a cheap if slightly bulkier sheet of thin foam will do for temperate climate, where this quilt would really shine is in very cold winter conditions where it is too cold for a foam sheet and you get snow rather than rain

I currently use a thing sheet of foam and/or my clothes beneath my sleepingbag

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Stuart said:
my current down bag is made out of a waterproof breathable fabric so does not suffer from the wet, however the seams are not taped so lying exposed to the rain is not a good idea, but a down bag + a lightweight bivi bag is still lighter than carrying a synthetic bag of equivalent insulation.

which sleeping bag is it?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
For those in the UK, larger Tesco stores are doing a Mylar insulated car sunshade which is like space blanket material with a thin layer of closed cell foam sandwiched between for the grand price of...........

Wait for it...............

93p

Light as a feather too !! Tuck it under your bum and you're toasty warm :super:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE