Hen Harriers

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
They never really got over the cull instigated by the war office in WW2, where they were killed to prevent them attacking our carrier pigeons, or so I was told by an expert on all things SOE.

Dave

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I think birds of prey ae evil. THey catch defenceless birds and mammals, and rip them apart whilst alive. Unbelievable that there are sick people out there actually attempting to defend their heinous crimes.

Shouldn't be allowed. Prosecute Nature, I say......................

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I think Andy was being facecious Elen................................

Yep birds of prey killed by unscrupulous game keepers so the rich can bag more game birds.
Fox hunting with hounds is illegal too but it still goes on. Laws are for the likes of us & the rich & powerful do as they please. :)

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I think birds of prey ae evil. THey catch defenceless birds and mammals, and rip them apart whilst alive. Unbelievable that there are sick people out there actually attempting to defend their heinous crimes.

Shouldn't be allowed. Prosecute Nature, I say......................

someone should call the daily mail. these vile thugs need to be outed, a bit of naming and shaming say I!!!!!

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
someone should call the daily mail. these vile thugs need to be outed, a bit of naming and shaming say I!!!!!

Here,here but I could think of a more severe punishment!!!

Cant abide these reprabates in society....im angry:censored::banghead: I dont suffer fools!!

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am glad I live in West Wales!
Red Kites and Buzzards are two a penny around here and Hen Harriers are not too uncommon, I get to see the odd Peregrin and even some more exotic birds of prey ... and I live right next to one of the most active shoots in the area - just where you might expect over zealous keepers to keep them down by fair means or (unintentional pun)foul!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
They never really got over the cull instigated by the war office in WW2, where they were killed to prevent them attacking our carrier pigeons, or so I was told by an expert on all things SOE.

Dave

I'm pretty sure it was peregrines that were taking carrier pigeon. Harrier generally catch prey on the ground.

xylaria

I am glad I live in West Wales!
Red Kites and Buzzards are two a penny around here and Hen Harriers are not too uncommon, I get to see the odd Peregrin and even some more exotic birds of prey ... and I live right next to one of the most active shoots in the area - just where you might expect over zealous keepers to keep them down by fair means or (unintentional pun)foul!

The greedy buzzards and kites never leave any roadkill from me to eat. They will strip a dead sheep in day. A kite did drop half a squirrel on my back step, they go for the odd bit of live prey, but most of time they seem to just be first on scene of RTAs and idle farmers followed by seagulls and crows.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
In fact I believe they never (unlike Buzzards n Kestrels) got over the use of DDT.

Windy

Its all about diet of their prey, sparrowhawks and peregrine eat pigeons which took in large quantities of sprayed crops which affected egg quality of the predators. Harriers, Buzzards and kestrels mainly eat voles which don't come into contact with much ddt.

Elen Sentier

From what I hear via the local woodsmen and sideways from friends of friends of the shooting set there are gamekeepers who really know and understand ecology and those who don't. Add to this half-witted rich guys who think they know best and tell their gamekeepers what to do rather than listening to them. Makes me want to get a gun ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE