Helsport Lavvu Brenner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Has anybody used anything like this in there laavu?
http://www.helsport.no/no/produkter/TILBEHOR/Telt_1/Lavvu brenner
I am envisaging a woodgas stove like the one in this thread.

Maybe with a funnel above it like
0009691.gif

Leading to a small rollable stopvepipe.

Does anybody have any thoughts?

Liam

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Putting wood in a box and setting fire to it is the easy part, how you remove the harmful gases from your tent is the tricky bit. I can see issues with refueling if you dropped a flue pipe on the top of the Writer, you'd have to remove the flue attachment to drop fuel in each time, or put a door in somewhere.

Be careful with the funnel thing, you really want a minimum of 3" diameter for your flue exit with wood fuel, it's probably different with the pellet fuel though. There are figures and formulas out there for working out the diameter of the required flue depending of the size of your fuel chamber.

I think there's probably easier ways to go about it

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Was not planning on dropping it, more having it above the burner to encourage a draft upwards and to prevent the smoke from mingling too much.
Also the Helsport Brenner is used in the laavu without a flue and because o the ventilation of the varanger is fine?

Could you point me in the direction of figures and formulas for the flue diameter ratios?

May not be the easiest but is a nice combination of stove to cook on and heat for winter camp?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
So are you thinking of dropping the woodgas stove inside the brenner? if so i would just open the vents and the top hat and have it naturally aspirated so to speak. woodgas stoves when going well give off very little smoke so you should be dandy without the flue arrangement. personally i doubt the funnel would allow sufficient transport of smoke upwards, its more likely to cause a spreading effect and interfere with the natural stack effect achieved with the open burner.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
No I would use the woodgas instead, just mount it like a brenner is on the central pole.
The funnel is just to catch the smoke, the flue made from shim steel would act as the chimney effect?

The reason I am hesitant to use it alone is when I tried with my honey stove, the shelter became very smokey. What is the correct set up for vents etc on a laavu? With regards to wind direction and top opening?

I think it just needs to be trialled really, just got no time!

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Bought some on ebay. Got a 6 meter leanth so let us know if you want a section!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Martin's just sent me the ebay link, I'll probably buy a full length as I've got a couple of stoves I want to make flues for.

I could do with a full 6m so it's good to know he can make them long enough, I figure I'll get two flues from 6m, hopefully one 5" and one 3"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE