Help.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Another one for you all:

We are doing the training bit of the Survival Skills badge with our Scouts at the moment. For the assessed bit of the badge they will have to 'cook without utensils or aluminium foil. A knife may be used.'.

As I see the rules, taking a billy is out, but anything that could be created in UK woodland, with knife, axe (maybe) and saw, from natural materials is OK.

So, my question is, are there any billy alternatives we could use for boiling water.
Whilst it's not necessary for them in terms of the badge, we could have a bit more variety in what the lads can cook.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks for your time Ladies and Gents.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
knowing the great british countryside they should have no probs finding empty beer and coke cans :D

tricky one as we dont naturally grow large diameter bamboo, mmmmm this could take some thinking about

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You can boil water in a paper bag, we tried and it was working until the glue stopped holding the bag together! I have seen someone using a turkey roarting bag to boil water. The trick is to make sure the heat only reaches the bit of the bag with water in. I know they aren't very bushcrafti but they fit the rules!
If fenlander looks in I think he has a way of frying a breakfast in a brown bag!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
With a group of at least three Scouts, take part in a survival exercise lasting about 24 hours, during which the group will:

Construct a shelter of natural or salvaged materials and sleep in it.

Cook all meals over an open fire.

Cook without utensils or aluminium foil. A knife may be used.

Demonstrate methods of finding direction by day or night without a compass.

Can you take a paper bag each?(try at home first so you get the right thickness of bag) It is possible to boil water in a paper bag! using the stone method above, but make sure they are not stones taken from or near a water source as these will explode when heated (have seen this happen).

You could also cook any meat products you may have by Kebabing them on sticks over the open fire.

LS

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Dry thin meat or fish fillets in the open air. Let coals go to white ash (with coals below). Lay meat or fish on ash. Check periodically. Turn when that side is cooked. When the second side is cooked, blow off ash (no problem if outsideof meat or fish has been suitably dried before hand). This works better with fish than it does with meat.

If you have a suitable piece of pliable birch bark, you can fold it into a bowl using this method:

http://www.nativetech.org/brchbark/barkseam.html

Provided on Native Tech by Tara Prindle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE