help with wood id please

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Hi folks, can anyone ID this wood for me please, I got the log from a local tree surgeon/man with a chainsaw and a van.

IMG_1114-1.jpg

Cheers
Heath

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I would have said yew from the two on the left, but the bark on the ones on the right is wrong, so I'm going with Alder too, as the middle piece is a classic alder orange. Sadly, the spectacular colour fades. Nice looking work, by the way.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Definitely not Yew. I've never worked with Alder before, but I heard about the orange oxidation and that was my guess. I wanted to be sure though considering that two of the items are for use with food.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Could be a few things. More clues will come from its desity and how its works. Interlocking/stringy grain points to elm, very little density and it points towards alder.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Could be a few things. More clues will come from its desity and how its works. Interlocking/stringy grain points to elm, very little density and it points towards alder.
I think it's Alder then based on that. It was very easy to carve.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I once de-barked a load of fresh alder and the colour stained my hands for days, looked like fake tan, was rather embarrassing....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE