Help with my Viking kyrtle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
H

Heathenpeddler

Sewing up a Viking Kyrtle was more than I'd bargained for when I promised my little man I'd do one for his Viking Day (See the other thread on that :) )

Leather004.jpg

To be honest, if he wants to keep it I'm going to have to completely rehem it :p as it was only a quick job made from an old duvet cover.

It is based on the gusseted kyrtle as on The Vikings! basic kit guide*Link to description* using the pattern guide they have *here*.

One of the biggest problems I had (apart from my newbie ineptness with a sewing machine!) was the gussets in the front and back. If you look at the pattern guide these are parts D in the pic and the corresponding one on the back. How on Earth do you sew one of these things in? I ended up having to bodge it by sewing a little triangle over the areas where the points met - not the best answer I'm sure :11doh:

Still, he had a great time and there was only other boy in a kyrtle.

Any help with the *proper* way to assemble this would be great, as the next one I'm making is for me! I may be offered a job with the Living History company that put the day on...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one! :D

You don't really need those gussets. Think of a kirtle as a tabard with sides and sleeves. The freedom of movement around the shoulder joint can be created by sewing in a square gusset under the arm.
http://www.regia.org/members/basclot5c.htm
gives really easy illustrations.

However, if you *do* want the front and back splits the easiest way is to sew both sides of the triangle in from the top down. This keeps the 'pull' running the same way on both of the bias seams. Personally I get a better fit at the tip of the point by sewing it in by hand.

Your son looks pretty trim, he ought not need masses of fabric gathered around him; too much can look like a badly adjusted tutu anyway :rolleyes: :) Braid really adds to the Viking look.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE