Help with making baskets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys,

Was inspired by Wednesday's edition of Ray Mear's Wild Food (episode 5) and amongst other things I decided that its time to learn how to do some basketry. I went into the woods today and collected a large amount of raffia-like dead grass that was growing in huge quantities (an entire football pitch sized clearing full of heather and dead grass). Unfortunately though I am unsure where to start, although I think I am supposed to be making a basket using a coiling method. Has anyone any links or similar on how to make such a basket?

Help is very much appreciated :) .
cheers,
woodwalker

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Woodwalker
Their's an intresting wee section in RM's Outdoor Survival Handbook which gives what looks like some good starter points. One skill I would like to try also! In Fife the Forestry Commission run weekend courses for intrested people might be worth checking their website for your area? Best wishes Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE