Help with homemade Meths stove needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I managed to get 5L of Acetone off EBay delivered the next day for £12 where Meth's was £16 and nearly a week to wait. I remembered it from when I worked at a stainless factory and we used it for cleaning marker. etc. off the metal. Burned for ages when someone decided to light a ciggy up near a pot of it :rofl:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Interesting fuel comparison test by "Firebox Stove" under good testing conditions

[video=youtube;Mt69fbNhCgs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt69fbNhCgs[/video]

Published on 19 Nov 2013

http://www.fireboxstove.com/

Here I line up six different alcohol fuels and test them side by side to see which is best.
I preform the test with the Trangia Spirit Burner in the Folding Firebox Nano ultra light backpacking stove

Cost per oz, time to boil 16.9 oz of water, cost to boil and the amount of fuel consumed

HEET (yellow) $ .147/oz 8:10 10.3 cents .7oz used

Denatured Alcohol $ .227/oz 11:30 15.9 cents .7oz used

Grain Alcohol (Everclear) $ .812/oz 9:30 48.7 cents .7oz used

91% Isopropyl $ .092/oz 11:52 6.5 cents .7oz used

ISO-HEET (red) $ .164/oz 12:30 23 cents . 1.4oz used

99% Isopropyl. $ .243/oz 9:00 14.6 cents .6oz used

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I've just done some boil time testing using a 1Litre Kelly Kettle, comparing a penny stove and a wicked stove.
The penny stove I made from a pop can had 16 jets but I added another row so about 20 jets made with a push pin.
The Wick stove is a lot heavier duty as made from a 65mm baked bean tin, 30mm high with a 50mm insert (so about a 7mm wick).

I used 500ml of water and started with 10ml in the penny stove. High flames out the top and only lasted 1min 30secs before going out, but was almost boiling.
150ml just boiled it with fresh water in at almost 2minutes 40secs.

The wick stove also had very high flames. Boiled 500ml at about the same time but still going strong so used less fluid.

I refilled the Kelly with a full litre of cold water and used 20ml of Acetone in the wick stove. Boiled it in approximately 4 minutes and then went out a few seconds later.

The Wick stove didn't seem so hot to touch either...maybe as it's thicker?

I think from this I will use the wick stove as you can cover some of it up with a plate to reduce the heat to simmer stuff and it seems the fuel will last longer.:deal:

The main drawback as far as I can see is Acetone evaporates quickly so I will need to keep it in a plastic, airtight bag if all the fuel isn't used.
I did notice that there was a lot of smoke. I was in the man cave with the door open so it wasn't a problem.

:thinkerg: I'll keep an eye out for a screw top tin (air pellet tin maybe) that I can fit a rubber ring in which will make a good burner and won't let the fuel evaporate between burns ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE