Help with homemade Meths stove needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I've just made a meth stove following the included vid but I used a more sturdy baked beans tin.
When I light mine the mineralised - highly flammable- meth's lights(got from BnQ for decorating) and has high blue flames but not around the sides. When I put a pan on it just goes out. I've even tried cutting slots and making holes in the fins but it won't light. Is it the meth's do you reckon or what? Any ideas?

[video=youtube;gkQWzgHZytQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkQWzgHZytQ[/video]

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It's the steel in the baked beans tin that's causing the issue. The stove above is alu, much better heat conductor than steel. It won't conduct heat well enough to the fuel reservoir.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get a cheap or duff ally water bottle and use the bottom of that - they work a treat for this type of stove, last well and weigh nothing.(without the fins, of course, but work just great)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I've got to say these groove stoves don't look as much faf as other meth pop can stoves I've seen made (all that drilling and pressing etc.
I see what you mean though, they're all made from ali pop cans
[video=youtube;-TfBDnCQ84w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TfBDnCQ84w[/video]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yep, it's all down to vapourising; the steel in the bean can was robbing the heat needed to vapourise fully for the design you've made.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Big no-no, blowing out spirit stoves :) If you don't know it already whack Zen Stoves into the search engine of your choice, it's a really great resource for all things flamey - they gather together and link to just about everything there is to know about stoves in general, and you can go into the parts you want to know quickly and easily. One of the best sites on the web, IMHO.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
+1 for the Zen Stoves site

Though one would think pop cans are of to flimsy a material for such a task the end result is suprisingly robust. Like a hen's egg is how I would describe the engineering, sure you could a stove on its side and crush it under a boot but in normal use upright with a pan of water on top you'd never squash it. Whilst they do get pretty hot during operation conversely they cool down rapidly as well so by the time you've drunk your brew it will be cool enough to pack away.

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Very interesting video in thread 5. Just made one of these roughly how much meths would you need to boil a pan of water?.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Been looking at these pop stoves for a whole now; definitely committed to making a few different types to play with - so simple and cheap! +1 for zen stoves as a resource; I've seen a YouTube channel that is Japanese and really goes to town on making them, unbelievable Japanese engineering!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Just done a boil test using them to power the 1.2 litre Kelly Kettle.
Full up with cold water, the penny took 6 mins and all of the 40mm meths to boil
The side burner was the same but a lot higher flames in the beginning ;)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Interesting, never thought of using Acetone! A boil test would be cool to see?

500ml of water is a good test. A meths stove depending on type can boil this amount in about 4 mins upwards in perfect conditions.

Another thing you can try is to add petrol to meths. I did a few tests years back with a 90/10 meths petrol mix and reduced boil times by at least 30 seconds or a minute, I can't remember now? Pure petrol made the pots black unlike meths but I don't know at what ratio sooting becomes a big problem with mixed fuels?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE