Help with fungi ID please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 30, 2009
Manchester
I was down my local patch looking for St Georges, and ran into a few that I'm not too sure about - any suggestions?!

Species A below
dsc00418gg.jpg

Species A on the left again
dsc00420p.jpg

Species B
dsc00434l.jpg

Species C
dsc00436n.jpg

Species C again
dsc00440yt.jpg

Species D
dsc00443eh.jpg

Species D
dsc00447eo.jpg

Cheers for any suggestions!

Ben

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Species A - poss some kind of web-cap (cortinarius)? Looks like there is some webbing under the umbel but can't be sure, would need some more detailed photos.
Species B - coprinus of some kind me thinks...
Species C - no idea
Species D - looks like a false morel (the dents don't look organised enough to be the morel)

As always, it will be interesting to see what some of the more experienced folks on the forum say. I'm still very much learing the ropes and didn't consult any books before writing this. Actually, i should be going to work......

Aug 30, 2009
Manchester
Thanks Listenclear - I should probably give some more details.

Species A was found in an old Hawthorn hedgerow which is next to a pasturefield and deciduous woodland. It didnt seem to stain, but had an orange, almost crystaline, substance in the hollow of the base of the stipe.

Species B - found in the same hedgerow, closer to the river.

Species C found in the deciduous woodland, near the river.

Species D was found in the some woodland, under a hawthorn.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Cool, thanks for the further info - i do enjoy a fungi mystery.
Species A - less sure than i was earlier - ha ha
Species B - still think it's a coprinus of some kind but no further than that.
Species C - still no idea. Poss a spore print would help but i haven't a scooby from the pics i'm afraid.
Species D - i now think may be the Verpa Conica (which is a true morel) and apparently quite uncommon. If it is one of those they are also apparently edible and like to grow under hawthorn scrub (where you found it). Still i could well be wrong - of course.

Fingers crossed more peeps get involved.

May 5, 2010
Manchester
Gotta agree that the first does look like a Cortinarious. The second then Common Ink Cap looks the favourite. Third I reckon Lyophyllum decastes could be a strong possibility and fouth a solid find - Verpa conica - the Thimble Morel. Will try and get down to this area over the weekend and check microscopically as is usually necessary with most species.

If I do I will keep you posted.

Fungalpunk Dave - www.fungalpunknature.co.uk

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Sweet. Thanks for that Fungalpunk!
Feel quite chuffed with myself and will look into the Lyophyllum decastes.
Just had a wee look at you site too. Looks good and will have aproper look later.
Hope that it helps ManchesterBen.
Cheers

May 5, 2010
Manchester
Sweet. Thanks for that Fungalpunk!
Feel quite chuffed with myself and will look into the Lyophyllum decastes.
Just had a wee look at you site too. Looks good and will have aproper look later.
Hope that it helps ManchesterBen.
Cheers

No worries and yeah check the site and feedback please. Has with all fungi trying to ID from photo's is in the main an impossible task but the Ink cap and Verpa conica I am quite confident with. The others need a closer look (by me anyway) so like I say hopefully can go, find, scratch head and come up with an answer ha, ha.

Cheers

Fungalpunk Dave - www.fungalpunknature.co.uk

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Hi Fungalpunk,
Had a better look at your site and really enjoyed it. Very comprehensive and i particularly appreciate the glossary which no doubt will be used alot.
Cheers for now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE