Help with finding a skillet

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Hi

I am looking for a skillet,

Wildfood09051-1-1.jpg

It is on legs that screw out, any help in finding a site where i can purchase one is greatly appreciated

Ash

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Light My Fire sell them too, thats where I got mine from ,

I went for the 48 cm model, it's brilliant I'd recommend them without question

If you get one season it with vegetable oil as you would with a dutch oven, and if you go for the storage bag DON'T store it in there only use it for transport as it's not breathable and you end up with a rusty Muurikka.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Thanks for the replys and the advice! It is allways welcomed, I got a chance to cook on one last week and loved it!

I got one from nordic outdoors, will store in breathable bag only!

Jul 24, 2009
Spital, Wirral
This is the kinda stuff me and the other half are trying to get into...looks great..it's not that different from re-enactment but without the daft clothes!! i'm just laughing at the size of the smile on that kid's face...being out in the middle of knowhere, trees to climb and foliage to play in and two hamburgers on the go on an open fire...he's in his element isn't he!! sure beats macdonalds

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I soon wiped the smile off his face when I told him both burgers were mine:lmao:

Slightly over done burgers this time!!! Still with a beer who cares ?

The beauty is that with a pair of gloves you can take it off in a second if the fire's too hot
it's not like bbq set up where you have to take individual items off.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It is indeed, the 15 incher.

I'm still waiting on the 16 inch (base) heavy weight frying pan with folding handle that my mate in Adelaide posted me 2 months and seven days ago. I hope the junk hasn't sunk!

They make some right tough cookware out there! I thought about using the lid of the bigger oven as a griddle but cleaning it after it was covered in coals up to a standard it was even vaguely useful to cook on is such a chore i thought bugger it, just get a heavy frying pan and keep it well seasoned and not scratched up.

ATB

Tom

Hi Tombear
All they want to do is feed their face's!!

is that your Aussie camp oven on the go ?

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
How do they compare with a Dutch Oven ?

I have a 12" deep wich is great for get togethers with friends and I have an 8" which is good for 2 people but even with the 8" weight is a problem. it's only good for a car based trip.

I just wondered do the Aussie's work on the same priciple of heat top and bottom and with them being thinner is it difficult to control the heat without burning.

Having said all that getting one sent over sounds an ordeal if even knowing a mate there it's taking 2 1/2 months and counting:eek:

What shop do you get them from do they do online ?

Sorry for all the questions. Apologies Atross for hijacking your thread,

Thanks Rich

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Rich
to be honest I've never used a traditional cast Dutch oven. I'd always avoided getting one having seen the remains and heard of so many cracking when dropped.

The spun carbon steel ovens are still quite heavy, I forget what they weigh in at, but no where near as bad as a cast iron job.

You can heat from above and below although I've got the best results with most come from the top, and its easier to regulate the heat anyway with most of it coming from the lid. I've not had any trouble regulating the tempreture after the first couple of bakes, I've just bought a oven thermometre to help get specific tempretures.

00000aapic1.jpg

Yeah the travel time is a bitch but since I wasn't paying for it I couldn't insist on it coming by air, I think the first one took only a month.

Neither of the two makers I know of in Oz send over seas but my mate lives near the Southern Metal Spinners factory in Adelaide and the Hillbilly Camping Gear frying pan was posted to him from the makers. I'd tried to get a answer out of them but had no joy.

I think they are fantastic bits of kit and if your used to big loads the smaller one isn't that bad weight wise if you are part of a group and you are sharing the cooking gear. I've just weighed it again and its about 6 lb with a plastic mixing bowl inside.

00000aapic.jpg

I've not tried it myself but the inverted lid would work well as a skillet.

I just wish they had a seller in the Uk, although the markup would probably be horrendous. Looking at their website the small oven is £32.18 now, substanially more then when I got mine a few years back.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi all
just received my Beeeeg Hillbilly folding handle frying pan from Oz along with the 16cm Zebra billy my mate posted way back when! Thats a relief!

Pics to follow before I get it all messy seasoning it but its just what I wanted, if 1.5 inches smaller at the base dia than I thought it would be. No big deal as 14.5 inch (37cm) is plenty big enough. I must have miss read the rim diameter for the base, D'oh.!

2mm steel so I shouldn't ruin it too quick!

The thermette drops into the 16cm Zebra beautifully by the way, will have to mess about working out the best way of packing them..

I wish we all weren't down with flu and it wasn't raining!

I'm in touch with a canvas worker in Oz who makes covers for them and dutch ovens for what seams like damn good prices so I may be putting a chit in with herself for some of those.

:-{D)

ATB

Tom

PS anyone remember any threads with mods for zebras? I would prefare a flatter lid that fits without the inner pan thing and perhaps a less obtrusive bail handle

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Hi Tombear

Thanks for taking the tim to answer my questions. Great pics, the oven looks fantastic and as you say at 6lbs it's at least a half the weight of a dutch if not more.
I contacted Metal Spinners and got a response from them I'll pm it to you.
Love the hillbilly pan by the way, I've got a similar pan but not with the folding handle.
Cheers Rich

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Rich
reply sent.

Herself has just ordred me a couple of made to measure cases for the ovens and one for the beeg fryng pan from this chap

http://www.infrontcampinggear.com.au/category44_1.htm#1892

Theres currently 2 Au $ to the pound.

I just need some good weather now, the back garden is still a mess (a fire pit will only improve the situation) and theres a lot of scrap wood so we can have some practice sessions as soon as its fit. I've even bought fome fresh yeast from Morrisons to try out.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I finally (between thunder storms) got to try out the hillbilly frying pan and it certainly is big enough.

fryingpan02.JPG

In the end there was 15 sausages and 10 rashers on the go at once ( OK Sos' No. 16 got flipped into the fire as I lost my wooden tongs and was trying to flip it with the slice). The only problem I had with it is it defintaely needs a stand/trivet/whatever as it is so large it will snuff out the coals underneath. OK I could have guessed that but theres nothing like experiance to motivate you!

We did some corn bread and fruit damper in the 9" campover and that came out really well except that I discovered you don't need many dried wild strawberres to overwhealm the taste ov everthing else and it's best to do your baking well away from your main fire unless you want to be endlessly turning the oven. Also rye flour doesn't go especially well with cornmeal, plain wheat works better.

Cornbread.JPG

For the frying pan I'm thinking of one of those swing out stands mounted on a steel rod driven into the ground as I'm after something adjstable hieght that I canhave partly or fully over the heat source.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE