Help with cooking

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Does anybody know any ways of cooking burgers on an open fire?

Also, if i wanted to cook a can of beans, could I just throw it on the ashes etc, or would the can melt.

Cheers

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Cooking burgers would probably be easiest done either in a wire grill as in a BBQ or in a pan...........beans can be cooked in the can provided you open it first or it may explode!

Also because a tin can has a narrow base and high sides it's the wrong shape for cooking in, you're liable to get half burning and the rest cold, and it's a bit difficult to stir a full can of beans.

But beware, often these days tin cans can have coatings on the inside which is there to help preserve the food, but may not be the best thing to cook in!

If you take one ex mill pan (the square ones) you could fry your burgers and then add the beans to heat..........easy as......and one pan is no where near as heavy as the can of beans!

Smoggy

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Cooking burgers would probably be easiest done either in a wire grill as in a BBQ or in a pan...........beans can be cooked in the can provided you open it first or it may explode!

Also because a tin can has a narrow base and high sides it's the wrong shape for cooking in, you're liable to get half burning and the rest cold, and it's a bit difficult to stir a full can of beans.

But beware, often these days tin cans can have coatings on the inside which is there to help preserve the food, but may not be the best thing to cook in!

If you take one ex mill pan (the square ones) you could fry your burgers and then add the beans to heat..........easy as......and one pan is no where near as heavy as the can of beans!

Smoggy

What he said!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Does anybody know any ways of cooking burgers on an open fire?
Also, if i wanted to cook a can of beans, could I just throw it on the ashes etc, or would the can melt.

If your trip is a short one, pre-cook the burgers before departure and then warm them up in a metal mug or pot (or eat them cold). I wouldn't throw the can into the ashes of a fire, instead bash the sides in a bit and place in a pot of water, and place the pot into the ashes, as the water boils it will heat the can evenly. When the sides of the can 'pop' out then the contents should be ready to eat and you will have some hot water left for a cuppa.

Raw meat isn't the best food to travel with especially in summer, the 'look what we found' food pouches, dried or cured meats would be a better option.

Cans aren't so great either, being heavy on both the trip out and the trip back, try taking dried beans, they are lighter to carry, better for you and you avoid any potential health issues with the can linings.

:)

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Cooking burgers would probably be easiest done either in a wire grill as in a BBQ or in a pan

ok thanks, but, this is just me and a mate going camping in some local woods and we dont have any of that, is there any other way? for example with sausages (I know they are pretty basic) you can just bark a stick then put it through the sausage.

so any other ideas?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dump the burger and take a tin of beans and sausages? Heat the can in boiling water (pierce lid first) and make a brew with the water afterwards. You could buy a small non stick frying pan from somewhere like Tesco for about £4, fry the burgers and (as said) fry off the beans in the juices.

You can still get tinned beefburgers in gravy and heat them in water.

If you don't cook much at home you need to plan your camping menu and practise before you go camping, don't just think 'that should taste OK' try it at home first and use the kit you will take on your trip.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
if you want to heat the can directly in fire then heat it very slowly/gently, sticking it in middle of hot fire will just result in burnt food on the edges and cold/uncooked in the middle, heat it very very slowly so the warmth can gradually seep through to the centre of can without burning the contents, even better get a cooking pot of some sort.

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
if you want to cook beans in the tin in the fire put the pierced can at the edge of the fire and just rake embers up around the tin, wait until steam starts coming from the pierced hole then they will be ready to eat

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
If you haven't got any cooking equipment/utensils........use you're head, no not literaly! I mean think about it.........

You cook at home therefore you will have access to cooking utensils, borrow some for your trip..........

BBQ.....someone you know will have one borrow the grill....someone may even be getting a new BBQ......you may be able to get the old grill.

Opt for food that you can cook easily with the equipment you have, untill you can get your hands on the equipment you need.

Don't make hard work out of bushcraft......make what you have do!

Smoggy.

de-bark two sticks, and stick them through the edge of the burger, just like sausages but it can't spin off. if it's not thick enough to do that, then take a long green stick and bend it in half without snapping it. put the burger on the bent part and use it as a grill. if you can make stands high enough, you could put burgers along the length of the doubled-up stick.

practice on a charcoal barbeque or garden fire at home first, if necessary.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Why not buy a disposable BBQ for a couple of quid, and when it's used take out the grill for next trip, also surely you have a small saucepan or frying pan at home, stick that in the rucsack and Bob's yer auntie's husband!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Thanks everyone, helped alot. And for the record, I wasn't just being stupid and not taking a pan from home, believe me I tried. I'm only 16 and mum wouldn't let me haha....downside to being a kid I guess...

thanks again

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Potentially, you could use a rock and cook your burgers on the rock. Get your fire going, prop the rock (slate would probably be good) over the fire by placing on some stones and the allow the rock to heat up. Place your burgers on the rock and use as a hot plate.

Things to be aware of if you do use this method, don't use rocks taken out of a river and don't use concrete as they will go bang! Also, glassy stones such as flint are likely to explode so don't use them either!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you do, let me know how it goes. Very interested to see how it works

Well, I may just give it a try over the next few days to make sure the idea will work, although i have no reason to think that it won't. I know that up on Wharnecliffe Crags there is a lot of slate that can be just picked up, but at the back of my house are the old out houses with an old slate roof falling to bits. One tile will make no difference!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I could be wrong, but I think maybe slate may split with the heat.....worth a try thought!

Smoggy...

Maybe so, but so long as it doesn't do that explosively I won't mind so much! In fact, I normally check one of two books when I need info on this sort of thing. The answer to this may be in Loftys' Survival Handbook so I'll take a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE