Help with backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Turistas

Mar 21, 2014
London/Kent
Hi,
I am new here can you help my with backpack- I will use for hiking and camping. So should have light weight and comfortable. Any users for these?:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/sherpa-surf-blue-id_8284188.html

http://store.karrimor.com/karrimor-tryfan-60-70-rucksack-793060

I just done coast to coast UK, with military backpack.......... I think no comments how heavy it was( just backpack ~3kg), plus camping stuff, food , water and etc.
I looking of 70L backpack.

any advice would be appreciated

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
neither as personally I like one with a removable hipbelt, so I can have a hipbelt that suits me. lighter the better if your going a distance, as between the heaviest and lightest you can drop something like 3kg or 75%, or 3 days food. Theres lots to them, back height, belts straps etc

if you've not much experience before buy second hand as it could become an expensive past time!

N.b.
The tryfan is hideosly overpriced, try the sports direct website. They are cheap crappy versions of the cheeta and cougar bags, less quality in them

the vango is heavy but theyre good tough bags at a reasonable price. Lots should be avaliable second handas they're dofe (D of E). Arnt they heavy.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
second hand Lowe Alpine packs are a good buy, I've had my snow peak for over 20 years. Snow peak is heavy duty but there are plenty built for lightweight back packing. You should get a lot of pack for about £20. Be wary of karrimor packs now, as the quality is no longer what it was.

Turistas

Mar 21, 2014
London/Kent
now karrimor have discount on that 64£.
I like vango but a bit heavy ~2.4 ( karrimor 1.9)
Can you show me please with removable hipbelt backpack?
And looking less then 2 kg bag. I know more Litres more weight, but.... all grams counts;), price 130£ max....

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
granite gear are the best company I have seen, as there backpacks have almost entirely interchangable hip belts and straps, and the bag part comes in 3 sizes itself. i think you would only buy once. Measure up and I think you would be able to tailor the pack to your spec. Alot more can be said for this company than most of the others. They havn't waisted there time like karrimor on a huge range of packs, and they actually put the thought in, which is reflected in the price. But I suppose you get what you pay for.

www.granitegearstore.com/Backpacks-C1.aspx

dont look at the military ones as theyre about 600 quid per pack!

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
granite gear are the best company I have seen, as there backpacks have almost entirely interchangable hip belts and straps, and the bag part comes in 3 sizes itself. i think you would only buy once. Measure up and I think you would be able to tailor the pack to your spec. Alot more can be said for this company than most of the others. They havn't waisted there time like karrimor on a huge range of packs, and they actually put the thought in, which is reflected in the price. But I suppose you get what you pay for.

www.granitegearstore.com/Backpacks-C1.aspx

dont look at the military ones as theyre about 600 quid per pack!

Yep agree. I have a granite gear blaze AC 60. Stunning pack. Most comfortable of all my packs and handles a big load very well but i seldom have more than 10kg in it

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Osprey Exos series, great packs and the lightest back frame pack you can get.

You sure about that Adam? :)

I think my 46L weighed just over 1kg, nice comfy packs with some good features, the pole attachment on the shoulder straps were very handy, but I don't like the internal space you lose with the heavily arched back system.

My Ohm comes in around 800g for a 64L pack, my not-arrived-yet 60L Arc Blast weighs only 482g, spendy but there are some seriously light packs out there.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
You sure about that Adam? :)

I think my 46L weighed just over 1kg, nice comfy packs with some good features, the pole attachment on the shoulder straps were very handy, but I don't like the internal space you lose with the heavily arched back system.

My Ohm comes in around 800g for a 64L pack, my not-arrived-yet 60L Arc Blast weighs only 482g, spendy but there are some seriously light packs out there.

I think its the lightest weight pack of ospreys you can get. But its alot like a climbing bag lightweight for lightweight loads, extternal frame for the donkehh !

Enlighten me on the straps on the ohm strap choice, j curve and s curve Shewie if you would please. Also on the super thin packs how do you find the wear resistance, and how do you find the hip belts ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Enlighten me on the straps on the ohm strap choice, j curve and s curve Shewie if you would please. Also on the super thin packs how do you find the wear resistance, and how do you find the hip belts ?

I've got regular J straps on my ULA packs, I think the s-curve straps offer more room around the neck and under the arms. I'm of slight build and find the standard J-curve fits me well. I've been using ULA packs for a while now and the dyneema gridstop is holding up very well, they're not my bushy packs but more for hiking trips in the hills. My new cuben pack is made from the new hybrid fabric, hopefully it solves the abrasion issues of regular cuben. The hip belts are great on the ULA packs, and also on my Gossamer Gear Gorilla, I've not got the Zpacks yet so can't comment on it.

Turistas

Mar 21, 2014
London/Kent
stupid question- if is light backpack 70L (till 1kg), is ok with heavy weight inside~ 15kg?. After 2 days, if I will carry all stuff is not will falling apart ?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
stupid question- if is light backpack 70L (till 1kg), is ok with heavy weight inside~ 15kg?. After 2 days, if I will carry all stuff is not will falling apart ?

If the munufacturer says 15 kg thats with a safety margin,the actual bag should be ok at almost any weight, but the other things are the back support system and hip belt quality. Pads only work to maximum 10 kg in a back system from what I've red, more ridgid things are needed for weights over that, and for real heavyweights true external frames. The hip belts also have a cut off point and will fold or fail at too heavier weight, a bag like the karrimor alpine, although lightweight and waterproof, isnt equipped with a hipbelt to carry 15 kg alot like some other lightweight bags. The other thing about super lightweight bags is they arn't rugged and may not be what you want to rely on for long term spells of use, ie you may need to run home and buy a new one at some stage!

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire

I use a ULA Catalyst as my rucksack for bushcrafting, it's fitted with J straps, not tried the S curve version. Wear resistance has been very good over the last 18months I've had it,at first I was a bit careful with it but not now. They are/ were very popular on long distance trails, if they can stand up to an AT through hike I'm sure thy are pretty durable. The hip belt is detachable and available in three sizes, as is the pack itself. Very comfortable when set up correctly.

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
your best bet is to go and try a few on in a shop. try them with as much weight as you can. A lot of shops now have some weighted sacks to pop in. The weight of a sack should be secondary to comfort and quality. A lightweight sack thats uncomfortable is far worse than a heavier but comfortable sack. i've been looking for a new sack as well and ended up getting a warrior predator. its a military style sack but had all the features i was looking for, was rugged and had the most comfortable back system i've tried for a while (ps, it also has a removable hip belt).

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

It's all down to the construction of the pack. Even heavyweight materials will fail if not enough care is taken with the seams. The very lightest weight packs that we've been talking about will take 15kg without issue.

As with all backpacks, but especially these, throwing them on loaded with the shoulder straps may cause damage. Picking up with the hanging loop and being a bit careful to not stress the pack too much and it will last.

I took the frame out of my Mariposa, I just use a pad. The frame does nothing for comfort for me. Regularly, it gets 15 odd kg loaded in for the first night and is no bother. Like Shewie, I don't use these packs for bushwhacking. more for hill use.
Using a pack cover gives some extra protection too. ;)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
buy or borrow second hand if you can, there must be people from the d of e with moaning kids(I dont want you to believe this fits with the ethos of the forum, its my own personal). I've had a few bags trying to find one that was a fit, a very expensive hobby. It may feel ok in the shop weighted, but after 2 days of walking Then you know. In the end I payed to have it modyfied, which brought it up to about £150 in total, but at least its what I want now and I havn't got to keep buying or looking !

Turistas

Mar 21, 2014
London/Kent
buy or borrow second hand if you can, there must be people from the d of e with moaning kids(I dont want you to believe this fits with the ethos of the forum, its my own personal). I've had a few bags trying to find one that was a fit, a very expensive hobby. It may feel ok in the shop weighted, but after 2 days of walking Then you know. In the end I payed to have it modyfied, which brought it up to about £150 in total, but at least its what I want now and I havn't got to keep buying or looking !
Today I was in few shop and try some backpacks. All brans what people say in forum. And check weight, comfortable and etc.... some is expencive, some of them looks realy light fabric but scary for heavy weight:)), i will try this not good i know a lot people say is now not best http://store.karrimor.com/karrimor-tryfan-60-70-rucksack-793060
i choose this:1. is looks ok, 2 for 15-20 kg weight for week should be alright, 3 more strong fabric for rock, stones is just my opinion. and still for 70L 1.9 kg.
Sp realy BIG THANK YOU FOR ADVISE ALL OF YOU!!! now i will check sleeping bag and mat ( but here price limit 250£ for sleeping bag) and 0 C dgeress comfortable.

Turistas

Mar 21, 2014
London/Kent
Today I was in few shop and try some backpacks. All brans what people say in forum. And check weight, comfortable and etc.... some is expencive, some of them looks realy light fabric but scary for heavy weight:)), i will try this not good i know a lot people say is now not best http://store.karrimor.com/karrimor-tryfan-60-70-rucksack-793060
i choose this:1. is looks ok, 2 for 15-20 kg weight for week should be alright, 3 more strong fabric for rock, stones is just my opinion. and still for 70L 1.9 kg.
Sp realy BIG THANK YOU FOR ADVISE ALL OF YOU!!! now i will check sleeping bag and mat ( but here price limit 250£ for sleeping bag) and 0 C dgeress comfortable.

Alright SO- I have this now- http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/lowe-alpine-tfx-nuptse-nd60-75-rucksack- check plenty feedbacks, read some in this site (about brand, quality and etc..). Happy now:) one more time THANK YOU ALL!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE