Help to identify knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...

Got this knife in New Zealand not too long ago.
Can't seem to find any information on it's use and purpose.
Odd shape on the spine (the recess)
Any clue?

IMG_0883.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0884.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0885.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks in advance.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It appears to be some type chef's cleaver (Sorry about stating the obvious) but I have no idea what the shape of the spine is about. Considering NZ's location is it possible it's of Asian origin? The handle would seem to suggest so.

Giantwalks

Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth
www.justgiving.com
It is an old cheese-knife from Signal in Solingen/Germany. The company Signal was founded 1789 in Solingen and existed till 1967. The special form of the tip of the blade comes from the second grip which was used as a palmrest, if the cheese was too hard. In earlier days these additional grips as the normal handgrips were made of horn.
I guess your knife is from about 1950 because of the rivets.
Signal produced only knives for proffessional users in the kitchen and some knives for gardeners.
Today such knives look like these:
http://www.messer-mit-tradition.de/...20Gro%DFe%20Kulle,%20Parmoulin-Fromage&rub=25

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It is an old cheese-knife from Signal in Solingen/Germany. The company Signal was founded 1789 in Solingen and existed till 1967. The special form of the tip of the blade comes from the second grip which was used as a palmrest, if the cheese was too hard. In earlier days these additional grips as the normal handgrips were made of horn.
Signal produced only knives for proffessional users in the kitchen and some knives for gardeners.
http://www.messer-mit-tradition.de/...20Gro%DFe%20Kulle,%20Parmoulin-Fromage&rub=25

I learn something new every day. Thanks for that.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com

Oh wow...thank you very much Giantwalks. Appreciate it.

Giantwalks

Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth
www.justgiving.com
So that recess on the spine had a wooden part inset?
So you could press down with your hand while cutting the Parmegiano?

Exactly. And for use on bigger and softer cheese this wooden part was detachable. In the later years these wooden parts were forbidden because of some nasty accidents. Instead of this wooden part the blades got more flat spines. After that came the cut-outs in the blades which decreases the "friction" of the knife inside the cheese. (forgive me the bad english, I vow improvement) :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Exactly. And for use on bigger and softer cheese this wooden part was detachable. In the later years these wooden parts were forbidden because of some nasty accidents. Instead of this wooden part the blades got more flat spines. After that came the cut-outs in the blades which decreases the "friction" of the knife inside the cheese. (forgive me the bad english, I vow improvement) :)

Thank you for the explanation!
What a super cool knife. I think I will make one from a Cleaver!

And your English is just fine, better than most native speakers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE