HELP - Ticks everywhere

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not being facetious in the least; but how would any of those work agin a tick infested tent ?

Cotton wool balls with essential oils meant to dab on pets just aren't going to cut it.

M

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
You could fit the tent in a bag as suggested and fill it with water, let it soak for a day, will probably drown them.

If you drop a bit of permethrin it'll get them all easy. Then just dry the tent out.

Tonyuk

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
I went camping on a small island up near the Isle of Skye

ha ha! (sorry to laugh). I do a lot of kayaking and small boat sailing to camp, either alone or with my family on many small islands or otherwise-inaccessible spots around this area (slightly further south). I've discovered that the more idyllic, or perhaps ideal (in terms of shelter and access to water, firewood, latrine etc) a camp spot may look, then the more of a tick/midgie/cleg infested hell-hole it turns out to be!

Aug 9, 2017
Mansfield
Thanks for the great response.
In answer to a few responses. Yep I've definitely considered burning or throwing the tent away a few times. However it's new and a decent one so thought I'd try everything before going too exteme with these little visitors.
The ticks from the image sent are the ones at the Larva stage. So small I had to get my phone camera and zoom it in to confirm it was actually a tick. The problem is, they are so small you can't see them on the fabric of the tent at all. I've been getting a small wet wipe and wiping the tent to confirm if there are others, as they are easier to see against the white wipe. Every wipe is covered in them.
I've starved them for a few more days now. They're now in the freezer to hit them while they're feeling low. Then tomorrow, the tent will be carefully put up and sprayed with a tick killing spray (containing permethrin) I got from a pet store. I'll spray several times then use the wipes to see I've got any movement left. I've also heard leaving it out in the sun can be good for me, bad for them.

I'll keep you updated. Hopefully this thread could help an equally unfortunate tick covered camper.

Aug 9, 2017
Mansfield
Solution found.

Well after much research and great responses. Permethrin seems to be the answer.

Every time I wiped over the tent with a white towel it would be covered in live ticks. I purchased a spray can designed for Fleas but apparently still good for Ticks too. It contained a 0.5% solution of permethrin. I sprayed each bit of tent individually inside and out. Then erected the tent and gave it another good spray.

After this I left it to air for a few hours in the sun. After wiping the tent with a white towel. I again had ticks on it, however they were all dead.

Job done.

The ideal solution, and I don't seem to be able to get it in any quantity within the uk. However Sawyers make it in the States. The solution is added to a bucket of water the items to be treated dunked in the water then dried out. This contains Permethrin and will kill anything on your clothing or kit but also deter any subsequent visits from our little friends.

Hope this is of some help.

To note was that in studies, the permethrin seemed to be better than DEET based products that are sold in abundance in the UK. Where they have really really bad problems with ticks infestations in the States, Permethrin based products are what they use to control it.

Happy Tick Killing 😂

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I'm not sure where this idea that you can't get permethrin in the UK keeps coming from. :mosquitos:

I understand that it is poisonous to cats (which may explain why it is not easily available in higher concentrations) and bad news if it gets into water courses.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/427802/Permethrin_spot-ons.pdf

and care needs to be taken using creams applied directly to skin and hair for scabies and lice infestations but AFAIK it is available as a solution in a variety of concentrations for various uses including clothing and mossie net proofing.

Lifesystems EX8 is 1.2% permethrin and intended for proofing mossie nets in 50ml bottles

http://www.purpleturtle.co.uk/acatalog/LifeSystems-EX8-Mosquito-Net-Treatment---50ml-10776.html#SID=472

Sawyers 0.49% stuff specifically for clothes, tents etc is available in 710ml bottles from the Bay of E

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sawyer-SP657-Permethrin-Premium-Insect-Repellent-For-Gear-Clothing-710ml-/252046790839?epid=25003299740&hash=item3aaf28d0b7:g:LZEAAOSwMmBVwJyz

5% solution available in bulk for dilution for equine use but presumably will work on fabric etc.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Deosect-Spray/productinfo/DEOSECT/

I've got some 10 or 12% concentrate knocking around somewhere which I boought in the UK for proofing mossie nets.

Useful stuff if used carefully and a lot less scary than high concentrations of DEET which melts plastics etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE