help! - squeeky boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to stop boots squeeking? I have a pair of Brasher boots (goretex lined) that creak rather noisily while walking. I've tried Nikwax conditioner for leather / cleaning / polishing, but still they squeek :confused:

It must be catching - my work shoes have started squeeking now :eek:

Any suggestions appreciated

Steve

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I can give you a hint. You can laugh all you want, but it works . P*ss in your boots, and let 'em sit overnight. Next day, wash 'em out with bleach, or whatever, and put 'em on. It's an old army trick, and as gross as it sounds, does wonders. Wear the boots around for a day or so, and by then they'll be so soft that you'll forget you're wearing them.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Are you SURE that would work with Goretex lined boots? I mean, its the leather on the outside, probably around the tongue, that squeeks, a membrane liner would surely keep any..errr..."dampness" away from the source of the squeek?

Of course if its the inner sole that squeeks then maybe it would work :eek: but I think I will keep my squeeky boots as is :D

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Logic would say that you should rough up the area that's squeaking... putting a rough surface on new boots with sand paper takes a little commitment but will solve the problem.

Of course, this only works if you know where ir's squeaking and don't damage the gore-tex lining.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I also have Goretex Brasher boots that squeak occasionally. The squeak comes the tongue (where the leather around the ankle meets the tongue, under the laces). I found that dubbin didn't really help (in fact it might have made things worse).

My answer? A thin layer of Vaseline on the tongue. Works wonders, but is only temporary (until the Vaseline wears off).

For some reason the squeaking seems to have stopped now, and I don't know why. Maybe a combination of dubbin, vaseline, dirt and luck sorted it out eventually.

Mark

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Hi All!

Addyb - your 'avin a larf :eek: !! seriously though, I guess it's similar to softening wool into felt (saw it on one of hugh fluffy whittling-stool's programs)

However, as C_Claycomb said - would it get past the goretexc lining? wouldn't want bleach near the goretex either!

Ilovemybed - with my size 11 feet there aint room for mice as well :p

Squidders - I see where your coming from, but don't know where the squeek is. I don't think it's the tongue because they squeek with the laces removed, and bits of cotton cloth placed under the lace-holed bits.

jamesdevine - sorry, searched for 'squeek' and 'boots' so didn't find that thread - As per your thread, most of the noise seems to come from the point where the toes bend - i've tried using a water-based nikwax conditioner on the whole boot with no improvement.

mark a. - I did suspect the tongue, but ruled this out after taking out the laces, and putting cotton padding unde the lace-up bits - no better. I seem to recall when I got the boots new, the little care leaflet specifically said "don't use dubbin, or petrol based products (vaseline=petroleaum jelly) as it will ruin the goretex.

I think I'll go back to the beginnig and try and determine where the noise is coming from exactly - a little difficult when me ears are 6 feet away from my boots!

Thanks for all your help guys

Steve.

S

Shadow

Check your credit card statement. A friend of mine from Manchester tells me that shoes and boots squeek if they haven't been paid for :)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
mark a. said:
I also have Goretex Brasher boots that squeak occasionally. The squeak comes the tongue (where the leather around the ankle meets the tongue, under the laces). I found that dubbin didn't really help (in fact it might have made things worse).

My answer? A thin layer of Vaseline on the tongue. Works wonders, but is only temporary (until the Vaseline wears off).

For some reason the squeaking seems to have stopped now, and I don't know why. Maybe a combination of dubbin, vaseline, dirt and luck sorted it out eventually.

Mark
Didnt it taste horrible though?

Coat please :rolleyes:

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I remember from my forces dayz that we either urinated inside the boots or on the outside to fix problem boots, can smell a bit mind.

One of the best methods was to either stand in a river (bath) untill they completely soaked through (wearing gortex sockz) or soak them overnight in the bath and then wear them untill dry (usually all day).

On a more reasonable not you can try leather conditioners,try a thin application of mink oil or any other oil-based leather treatment softens the leather. The final method is the old rubbing method, soften the area with a bit of conditioning oil.

Then, using a smooth, blunt, hard object, like the end of your (closed) Swiss army knife or the end of a broomstick, repeatedly rub the offending area into submission. Then re-apply your polish and hopefully the offending area has vanished, well you never know.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Didnt it taste horrible though?

Coat please

Very bad indeed! :D

Bikething, thanks for the heads up on the Vaseline / Goretex incompatability. I didn't know that. Fortunately the squeak seems to have stopped, so I won't need to ruin my boots again! I don't actually use dubbin, but some Goretex approved wax stuff that you can get from Blacks etc, so I'm fine there.

Hope your squeak goes away soon.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
addyb said:
I can give you a hint. You can laugh all you want, but it works . P*ss in your boots, and let 'em sit overnight. Next day, wash 'em out with bleach, or whatever, and put 'em on. It's an old army trick, and as gross as it sounds, does wonders. Wear the boots around for a day or so, and by then they'll be so soft that you'll forget you're wearing them.
Addyb is quite right, but after application, fill boots as far as possible with Cold water (if soles are glued, hot water will cause them to come adrift - DON'T ask how I know this..!?!) until thoroughly soaked, empty and wear, preferably on a long but not far from home walk. Apply plenty of whatever dressing you use after they have dried out naturally (filled with newspaper?)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Heh, yeah it DOES work. :)

I found out about it from reading an old British WWII bio, and figured I'd try it on my new US jungle boots. I had worn them previously for a day's trek, and when I took them off, I had blood on my toes and heels. I figured enough was enough, I did the urination trick, and lo! It worked! No more blisters, no more blood! Now I can wear the boots all day, and they feel like I'm not wearing 'em at all.

Kinda funny how things work, isn't it?

A.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE