Help on making 1st knife!! (bought blade)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
hey guys,

I am in the process of making my first knife based arojund the scandi karauadu(spelling?) kit, with a few bits added.

The pattern for the handle is the sammi design of thin layers of birch bark, reindeer antler and leather and a block of curly birch.

So my question is about glueing these pieces on. I have my clamps and such ready to go, but am unsure about the bonding agent.

What glues or epoxies would you recommend? (bearing in mind that I don't drive and the town I am in has one small hardware store)

I have wood glue and tandy leather glue to hand but I am guesing these wouldn't do the job.

the knife is going to be primarily decoritive and will only see some mild use.

all help or suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Baelfore

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I'm sure there is a right answer, but I used Araldite because it's what I had and the knife hasn't fallen apart yet!
I remember being warned not to use the rapid setting stuff so you have enough time to assemble everything and get it clamped up before the glue hardens.
Be sure to post photos when it's done.

Z

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've used cheap "151" two-part epoxy from the pound shop for a few years now; I make a lot of staffs and walking sticks for people who use them heavilly and it's never failed me. I've also used it on the last half dozen or so knife projects and have had good results...........It sets nearly clear so is neat to use, and gives 4-6 minutes manipulation time.....it also works very well when mixed with sawdust from the wood you're using, to make a filler that's strong and not very visible. It costs £1.00 per double syringe and is, imho, better than the market leading brands at nearly a fiver a go.

One tip; use a junior hacksaw to cut the two halves of the syringe asunder, much easier to squirt equal amounts to mix, and much better to store. Hope this helps, atb mac

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
The pattern for the handle is the sammi design of thin layers of birch bark, reindeer antler and leather and a block of curly birch.
In what orientation, Bael? Along or across the tang? I think there's different techniques for them. I'm an arildite gal myself for mending absolutely everything which can't be fixed by duct tape ;)

Is the handle where the sammi design you mentioned comes in or is that a blade shape?

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....for a good value and strong epoxy i use z-poxy (get the 30 minute working time one) which is used by a fair few pro-knifemakers....ebay, 15 quid...a lot stronger than 151 and nearly as strong as the ''equivalent'' loctite and araldite yet about a tenner cheaper....and you get more for your money too.

a

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just ordered some z-poxy to give it a try...............never seen it before, but it seems good value and well worth a try........not to mention proper containers instead of those stupid double syringe things.............
Great tip, Angst, thanks a lot for posting that....................atb mac

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
thanks guys. that gives me an idea of what to look for. i'll have a wander down to the hardware store tommorrow and see waht they have.

In what orientation, Bael? Along or across the tang? I think there's different techniques for them. I'm an arildite gal myself for mending absolutely everything which can't be fixed by duct tape ;)

Is the handle where the sammi design you mentioned comes in or is that a blade shape?

turbogirl, Its just the vertical stacking along a full length internal tang. design is on the handle. didn't know there were other ways to do it. must look that up, thanks.:D

will post pics when its done. hopefully some time this week.

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,
Baelfore

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
with stacked handles the slower the setting time, the more chance you have of getting it all together before the glue goes off (and without rushing and messing it up!). I use the 30 min z poxy for things like that where the glue is really just there to stop the pieces rotating on the tang and to stop moisture ingress. For full and blight sticks I prefer to use better stuff ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE