Help me with training please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

screwball

Nov 12, 2007
scotland
Firstly I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place (mods feel free to move it) but I have the very basics that would hopefully stop me dying outdoors
What I would like to do is join in with meetings you guys have or if you good folks could recommend a course to go on I am not interested in the mall ninja wanna be rambo type stuff .I just want to be more comfortable living outdoors

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
screwball

now then what you have asked is brilliant will lead u were you want to go but to teach you what you want to learn we need to know what you have already got in the way of skills and knowledge.

for instance

are u knowledgable with fire starting and lays

or natural shelters or any other bushcraft knowledge that u know

drew

screwball

Nov 12, 2007
scotland
Mate
I am able to start a small fire but struggle to keep it going and recently made myself a small shelter that leaked like hell.So I am not that well equipeded to cope outdoors and would survive by the skin of my teeth
I hope that gives some idea of my skills level would best be descirbed as a newbie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No shortage of good schools around, and local to the central belt we're happy to recommend Patrick McGlinchey at Backwoodssurvival just outside Glasgow :D
http://www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
He's really competent, knows his stuff *and* he's a good teacher :)

Other than that, keep your eyes open, lots of the Scots post saying we're going out and does anyone want to come along ? Most are more than happy to play with fires :rolleyes: build stuff ;) and generally talk kit and skills :D

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
okay so were to start is by buying the book bushcraft by mors kachansky (Spelling) because that will teach you quite alot about fire starting and laying and shelter building

also another good book is ray mears outdoor servival guide

for food and the such like and seasonal diffrences then once you get started just ask on here

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Hi Screwball, one of the best ways to learn, is just to get out in the woods and do it. Learn from your leaky shelter, do a little research and try again :) there's plenty of online resources. Nothing can replace personal tuition, but it's only an introduction really, the most rewarding way is to figure it out for yourself.

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
No shortage of good schools around, and local to the central belt we're happy to recommend Patrick McGlinchey at Backwoodsurvival just outside Glasgow :D
http://www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk

Other than that, keep your eyes open, lots of the Scots post saying we're going out and does anyone want to come along ? Most are more than happy to play with fires :rolleyes: build stuff ;) and generally talk kit and skills :D

cheers,
Toddy

Hi Toddy, where outside Glasgow is he? I tried the link but it wasn't working.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Beg/borrow/buy one of the many excellent bushcraft books around.
Learn some skills.
Then get out and about and practise them.
Most importantly take your time and enjoy it.
I learned a lot when I first started from 'Rays' Essential Bushcraft.

PREPER...... :)

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
No shortage of good schools around, and local to the central belt we're happy to recommend Patrick McGlinchey at Backwoodssurvival just outside Glasgow :D
http://www.backwoodssurvival.co.uk

I can certainly second that - having the pleasure to spend a few weeks with Patrick in Borneo earlier this year, he is ideally suited to teach both absolute beginners through to people who think they know it all.

I would echo the sentiments of others here and say that the best way to learn is to get out and about trying it for yourself.

As you're new, keep things safe and controlled to begin with, always have a backup plan if your shelter fails, or your fire won't start, and ideally take a friend along if you can - it's not only safer, but more importantly, it's more fun that way!

Best of luck,

Ag

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Also, Patrick is about as far from "mall ninja" as you can get.
If there is a Scottish meetup, we'll be only too happy to have you join us.
Whereabouts in scotland are you? if there is anyone local, I daresay they'll be up for a wander in the woods and pass on some ideas/skills/just sit by the fire and chat.

Incedentaly, I'm the one in the left hand picture of the Backwoodsman course on Patrick's site. :D

Last edited:

screwball

Nov 12, 2007
scotland
Folks thanks very much for all the help and advice .I will keep an eye on the Scotch corner for posts but the pennies will definitely be getting saved for one of Patricks courses

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE