Help me with a potential birthday present

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 20, 2008
north west
Hi all,

Now it's my birthday in a few months and I think it might be time for a new knife

My requirements are:

Cheap (£0-30)
Reliable (nothing cheap and flimsy)
Sharp and easy to keep that way (no point in having a dull cutter)
UK legal (folding,non locking yada yada)

Anyone got any recommendations????

Ta

Chip

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Go on Heinnie's site and type in UK legal in the search bar, there's an unbelievable amount of nice stuff on there, Boker and rough rider knives are a good bet.
Can't beat a SAK Victorinox Farmer as a UK legal folder.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Dunno if they do non locking ones tbh but check out ganzo knives, they would be astonishingly good at twice the price

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
British Blades Forum has just done a UK legal Spyderco. If still available its a good one, though think they are £55?? Its a small slipjoint.

Or a SAK Victorinox Huntsman, and have it engraved with your initials.

£30 is a bit tight for anything fun. How about a Silky Saw?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Boker Techtool. Hands down.

http://www.heinnie.com/brands/boker-plus/f/lock_type/nonlocking

I have the Techtool 1 (£21.95) and it is fantastic. I used to have a Spyderco UKPK with the S30V blade and G10 handle and that was good, as one would expect for something of that price point, but other than the one handled opening, I find that the Techtool has done all I want in a UK EDC pocket knife. The 12C27 blade is easier to get to a very sharp edge than the S30V Spyderco and holds it FAR longer than a SAK. Its easy to open, remains open with more security than the Spyderco, and with the G10 handle it feels of quality in the hand, unlike the plastic handled knives.

Queen Sodbuster is good steel, but the edge is so thick it needs a lot of work to get it cutting. The Boker was good right from the start and I haven't needed to reprofile anything.

I love my SAK, but only for the tools, not for the blade. I know there are people that do good work with a SAK blade, but my own experience with them makes me think they are rubbish for cutting things. I have carried a SAK for over 30 years but I gave up relying upon it to cut anything after the first two! Bought a new SAK last year, no change in cutting performance with the ones from yesteryear.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
i have a TBS Boar EDC in birch, a really nice little folding knife that seems to be well thought out. Not really a folder fan but this one lives in my pocket and sees use most days.

+1 for the TBS Boar EDC pocket knife, I have it in turkish walnut and love it.
Can't go wrong with a SAK for an EDC though.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Another vote for the Vic Farmer - Bombproof, great set of tools (Wood saw is excellent, in -line awl is perfect, opener layer has 2 screwdrivers, bottle opener and can opener and the main blade is superb). Tried and tested for many many years and is highly rated on the Mto (multitool.org) forum I frequent, and they really know what they're talking about.

Couple the incredible utility of the Farmer with the lifetime Victorinox guarantee and you can't go wrong.

Here's a pic of mine to get you salivating:

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Cheers bilmo - I had to strip the whole thing down and use a hollow rivet too. The key ring attachment is the only thing I don't like about the Farmer, but most people don't seem to mind it. While I was at it I bunged the SI scales too as I prefer the shield design.

The yellow SAK is another one of my mods - instead of the small blade I put in the in-line awl which I think is much more useful. Probably more info than you wanted, but I'm a proud modder and I love SAK's!

Last edited:

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I love my svord peasant, nothing special to look at but good steel and does the job. For about £25 you can get the mini with wooden handle, I've got a plastic version and if I lost it would immediately buy another.
Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE