Help: I got paint all over my Barbour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
:rolleyes: Yup. Got a good bit of it out directly after it happened, my coat has been sitting for a wee while now as I've no idea how to get the rest of it out now! Kicking myself because I've not long had it - luckily I picked it up on ebay 2nd hand for 1/4 of RRP so I'm not kicking myself TOO hard!

Is terps ok to use to get it out? Or rubbing alcohol?

Right now I've got it soaking in warm water to help dislodge the paint particles and I'll give it another scrub, maybe even a pass in the washing machine.

I've come to terms with me having to rewax the thing, or get sent off for Barbour to do it, but I'd like to get it as clean as possible before doing so.

Thanks guys!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Waterbased - it should come out with a good scrubbing...
Oil based - enjoy the new colour scheme...
My wife got my waxed cotton gilet splashed with thinned white gloss and no matter how I tried I could not get every trace out even with repeated scrubbing with white spirit soon after the event. Some traces were still visible despite every effort (cleaning started immediately after the "event") but it still functions after a rewaxing... it just looks "well used" ...

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If the paint was water-soluble acrylic-based, try using a little isopropyl alcohol.
Don't just look for "rubbing alcohol," as that's now sometimes denatured ethanol and it won't work.

In a past life, I did a lot of fine airbrush painting (acrylics only) in theatrical stagecraft.
Overspray is one enemy, dried paint residue in the AB mechanism is another.
Isoproply will dissolve the dried paint. Slowly, but it does work.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Thanks guys. I'll give isopropyl alcohol a shot, I'm sure I have a bottle kicking about somewhere.

I'll snap a picture when I'm home to show you my progress, it's faded - the marks are not as distinct - but it's definitely lightened the hue over where I've been scrubbing. Whether that's from the paint or as a result of my elbow grease I'm not sure !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE