Help for Heroes auction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Just a reminder to the guys who have signed up for the weekend..........dont forget, it's only a couple of weeks away.

Any questions..................now is the time :D

anyone wanting detailed instruction on how to get here PM me.

Cheers,

mark

Hi Mark,

When will you be there and what time are we welcome from?

Meet at the rangers hut I presume?

What set up (tent, hammock, bivi) do you recommend?

Is there a communal fire for cooking etc or am I to bring a stove?

Will I need to bring any firewood?

If I think of anything else I'll shout :)

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I will be there from friday so it's up to you guys when you turn up, meet me at the rangers hut, just yell !

Sleeping arrangements are up to you, tent, hammock or bivvy, i'me not sure what i'me doin yet anyway.

The charcoal burner will provide a certain amount of heat, and we'l have a camp fire, so i suggest bring a stove if you want to cook independantly.

Firewood is definately NOT a problem so dont burden yourselves with that.

lookin forward to meetin ya'll

mark

There will be an opportunity to do some Birch tapping for those interested, so bring a recepticle, i am experimenting this week, so we will see how it goes.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
sorry people, but i will have to pull out. I will still be coming back to uk but in light of the impending fuel crisis, i will be going food, fuels and clothes shopping, hopefully before shops hoik their prices up. if its possible, can i get a copy of the tutorials (if any one decides to make notes for posterity) as its choking my craw to miss this.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
:( Oh no !!!!!!!!!! what a bummer .............................i will try and get together some stuff for you mate, i know the useful and edible plant walk usually comes with a comprehensive handout, so i will make sure you get that. I will also get some charcoal bumfff together. We will be there all weekend so even if you can only come for an afternoon it would be great to see you.:beerchug:

BUt if not dont worry, i may be able to get you down on another occassion or i might run it again later in the year so you will have a place on that.:red:

Mark

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Shame you wont be there reddave :(

However, looking forward to this weekend now :D

I hope we are due for a spot of sunshine this weekend as my past few camps have ranged from windy, cold and lashing it down to breezy, mild with light showers :lmao:

Oh to camp with less than 4 layers on - living the dream :D

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Ahh Mirius...................................you have seen the weather forecast lol:rant:

No worrie mate.....................it's a shame, i will try and send you some info, and you got first dibs on the next one along with reddave.

Cheers for lettin us know,

Mark

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Well,

I'm a charcoal maker, twisted charcoal maker :D

Massive thanks to Mark and Dan for a great weekend :You_Rock_ and a special thanks to Dave to the guided walk, my plant ID knowledge has gone in leaps and bounds :D

Ratbag and Jacko were great company and it's a shame that the guys who missed out missed out.

I will be a regular visitor to Beacon Country Park from now on and Mark if you need some muscle when I'm there let me know ;)

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Yep I will echo what Matt said there, a top weekend set up by Mark!!:You_Rock_
What Dan didn't know about charcoal, or smithing, you dont need to know.
Dave is awesome on plant ID and uses!!!!!
Company was spot on, and it says something when your team pop in for a look on their time off and stop most of the day! You run a first class ranger service at the park Mark, hope you get more interest on the site off here.
Thanks and cheers again mate,
Mark.

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Just to echo what Matt has said.....cheers Mark for a top weekend!!:You_Rock_ Thanks also to Dan the charcoal man(and smithy), and also to Dave, he is awesome on plant ID and uses.
A top team alround Mark, and you run a first class ranger service.
Cheers to Matt and Ratbag for the meat treats :D
Thanks again Mark,
Mark.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Thanks for the Kind comments guys, really glad you enjoyed it, and gained some extra knowledge, Dan the man is cool, and Dave is the best.....................in fact Dave has donated his walk fee to the charity. You are welcome back anytime you like.......great company............great weekend..........will defo run another.

Pics to follow in next few days too............:naughty:

Mark

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Hello Chaps

Matt and Mark have already said it, but let me add my thanks to you, Dan, Dave and your extended family of rangers and volunteer rangers that turned up over the weekend. I had a great time, learned a lot, chopped and whittled a lot, burnt a lot, ate a lot, laughed a lot and, predictably, drank a lot. Fantastic stuff.

Thanks for organising everything and looking after us so well. And blummin' well done for raising that amount of money for such a good cause. Good work fellah! :You_Rock_

Great venue by the way - I hope to see you there again on another meet in the not-too-distant future.

Cheers

Rat

PS: Tell Dan that anytime he fancies forging a better axe head, I'll have that rubbish old one off him :D

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
!st lot of photo's from Saturday guys...................

P1010531.jpg

P1010532.jpg

P1010533.jpg

P1010534.jpg

P1010535.jpg

P1010536.jpg

P1010537.jpg

P1010538.jpg

P1010539.jpg

More to follow when i get to open the kiln later today...........

Mark

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
sounds like it was a great weekend. absolutely gutted that i threw away the chance to be on it, as i would love to have learned all the additional info too.
say threw it away, cos here in holland tomorrow is queens holiday and thursday is ascension day, so 2 bank holidays BUT TODAY........ boss says, take friday off and we will pay you as there will be no work to do. so come back on monday.
Going back home tomorrow to buy more stuff, but there's a really bitter taste at the back of my throat. So, put me down for the next one but I will still pay as its for a very good cause. but if there's any info that was down on paper, I'd love a copy.
And thats some size of kiln, or was it for the weekend barbeque??

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Again great pics Mark :)
Bit worried as looks like Ive got a bushcrafters belly coming on!!!!!!!:lmao:
How did it turn out, up to expectations?
Cheers,
Mark.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
The results are in.............................................................................................................

an it's not good................................................................................................................

about 20 % Charcoal, 70% Burned/charred wood and 10% Ash.........:aargh4:

We think the wood we are using is too green, with a high moisture content, and it's not driving all the moisture out thus not burning properly. I think i will stick the burner back on as we have't emptied it an see what happens now the wood is dry........:sadwavey:

Here are some pics,

IMG_0206-1.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

It's strange that the distribution of charred wood is even, and around the top outside edges, i also think the fire started inside needs to get a lot hotter before closing the lid.

Investigations will continue, with a re-run later in the year.........:D

Mark

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Investigations will continue, with a re-run later in the year.........:D

Mark

I'll be there! I've got a few improvements for the game stew that I'll test out on you. I think it needs more squirrel ..... now where's that air rifle of mine....

Cheers

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE