Help!, Foot Rot!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

WNZer

I wasnt sure where to post this, seems as good as section as any, lol

Is there any treatment for Athletes foot, that is cheaper than an antifungal cream and wont hurt already broken skin. :eek:

Ta,

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Neem oil works pretty well. Teatree does as well, but if the skin's broken you'll find that it will really dry it all out, probably not what you want.

W

WNZer

Not even my Anglo blood can translate that :p but I shall give it ago, thanks fellas.

ChrisKavanaugh said:
If your near the ocean walk in the wet sand. The salt water and abrasiveness will clean things up "ship shape and Bristol fashion."

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
soaking your feet in a solution of potassium permanganate is a widely recognised cure for athletes foot (although I've never suffered from it) it is also useful to carry as you can use it for many things like making fire (mix with any glycol based product like anti freeze or certain nail varnish removers etc. You can steralise suspect vegetable matter before eating in a solution of pot perm and stain frost or snow to leave a trail if lost and probably a whole host of other uses. Very useful item to carry with you and available from chemists.
It is harmful to the environment so dispose of it carefully and use the trail trick only if absolutely neccessary

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
falling rain said:
soaking your feet in a solution of potassium permanganate is a widely recognised cure for athletes foot

Beat me to it! :D

Potassium permanganate is a very good disinfectant and can be used to treat water too. Although if you use to much in the water you drink you'll end up 6ft under. I think at about 10g it is fatal if my memory serves me correctly. Which is why, as falling rain stated, it much not be disposed of carefully and certianly not into a water supply.

And two rather odd suggestions are Grapefruit seed extract and Crushed Garlic put in your socks (NOT MIXED TOGETHER) both of these have anti-fungal properties.

leon-1

If memory serves me correclty for potassium permanganate;

Light straw coloured for prep of veg (probably not used, in my case definitely not used).
Pink for sterilisation of water.
Dark Pink for an anti-septic.
Red for Anti-fungal treatment.

Personally logic dictates if it won't sterilise water then it won't be good enough for cleaning fruit as the water that you are cleaning it with could be infected.

Andyn is correct about the garlic, it was used by the roman centurions (they used to put cloves of it between thier toes) when they marched all over the place to help prevent things like athletes foot.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
If I remember rightly , a bushcrafty :p way of curing it would be to collect some acorns ( out of season I know ) de-shell them and then get them on a rolling boil for awhile. You should end up with a brown very tannin rich water which you soak your feet in, do this a few times and hey presto foot rot gone :).

Either way its not gonna help you this time of year so get the cannisten out and do that x3 a day and it should sort you

regards
Garry

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Stand in a basin or put each foot in a bucket and **** on them! Soak in it for two minutes and then rinse and dry off! There is not a wild colonial bushcrafter or soldier who doesn't know this remedy or learns it damn quick!! Including the famed Richard Graves the father of modern bushcraft who advocated this treatment over sixty years ago in his bushcraft books!! Try it because it works!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Razorstrop said:
If I remember rightly , a bushcrafty :p way of curing it would be to collect some acorns ( out of season I know ) de-shell them and then get them on a rolling boil for awhile. You should end up with a brown very tannin rich water which you soak your feet in, do this a few times and hey presto foot rot gone :).

Either way its not gonna help you this time of year so get the cannisten out and do that x3 a day and it should sort you

regards
Garry

I've just collected two bags of freshly fallen acorns from a Turkey Oak, so it might not be impossible.

Once you get the cracks healed, try creating an insole out of carefully picked over and dried sphagnum moss....it's not only very absorbent it's anti-microbial too. You could use it to gently stuff around your feet inside a pair of socks in camp if you don't want to walk with it inside your boots and it'll still help keep your feet in good order.

Cheers,
Toddy

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Prevention is better than cure tho...

Wash and dry your feet every night after a day's walking, dust with mycil powder and let them air for a while before dropping off to sleep.

If you can't wash and dry your socks, at least hang them out to dry a little and give them a dusting with Mycil powder too.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
AUSSIE said:
Stand in a basin or put each foot in a bucket and ****
Yep... that'll work.... its the uric acid in the urine that does the trick..... you can get rid of foot rot with anything acidic like this including vinegar and lemon juice ;)

Ed

nishishinandy

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2005
Belfast northern ireland
WNZer said:
I wasnt sure where to post this, seems as good as section as any, lol

Is there any treatment for Athletes foot, that is cheaper than an antifungal cream and wont hurt already broken skin. :eek:

Ta,

Vinager will kill it? no problem and its cheap
it will sting but thats how u know its workin
if not in vest in some tinactin. Its like a hard core athletes foot cream and will get rid of it in days. I had a friend who couldnt walk while we were in canada in the middle of no where and when we ran out of tinactin the vinigar worked a treat

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
The leaves of Silver Weed between your toes. That is documented as a Roman cure for blisters and athletes foot. Some say thats how Silver Weed came to the UK.
Never tried it myself. You can get it free from Mother Nature!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE