HELP common problems with coleman duel fuel single mantle lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The Coleman model 282 is a common modern lantern the generator is here

http://www.camping-online.co.uk/cam...terns/coleman-generator-for-model-282285.html

Johnboy have you tried one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Exponent-Dual-Fuel-Lantern/dp/B0009VC8DC

they are really small, about the size of a hurricane lantern, great little lantern.

Yep tried the exponent ( it used to be called a peak 1 IIRC) I moved it on... Good for canoe camping and floundering...

I only have a Model 200 ( a canadian made 200A) gasoline and a Model 249 ( or is it a 243??) in kerosene left currently oh and a 'few' other assorted lanterns 70 assorted stoves and a shed full of other outdoor tat and the odd rifle.. You know how it is Richard.....;)

Cheers

John

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have owned three or four Coleman lanterns (there made about 45 miles from me) and I can tell you for a fact if you cant get one going, nine times out of ten, it is the generator. They are very inexpensive, and easy to replace. Start there.

Never fill them more than about 3/4 full. That will leave enough air space that you will have something to compress to keep it going.

Reactions: allenko

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I have a double mantle coleman lantern and always ran it on unleaded. However after a few years it got progressively dimmer until it was vertually useless.
I went to the local coleman stockist and they said with no hesitation it was the generator, I bought a new one for £7 and it was perfect again.
I now use the Aspen fuel that Rik reccommended.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
No, he always types like that! Remember, this is a bushcraft site, not a GCSE and Schooling forum! quote spamel

well actually i was last night when i asked that perticular question spamel cos i was at work bored on night shift

also cheers livefast i will have a look at them

drew

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Try Ebay item 250429043994

No connection with the vendor apart from being a previous customer.

Andy

Well done! £10.95 for the fuel and the same again for the postage. Still a huge saving on Coleman fuel considering I would have to drive 30 mile round trip to get it.

Cheers

Paul

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
I've definately got to get some of this panel wipe stuff.

Before our last camp I spent £40 on three bottles of coleman and 4 packs of 2x mantles.
Even with a the 10% scout discount, thats a lot of cash!!

We currently have one lamp that burns ok for a while and then starts to "pulse" dim and bright until it blows out one of its mantles.

We'll be giving them all an overhaul this winter. They are annoying sometimes but they really are good lamps.

Anyone know a good cheap source of mantles?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yep tried the exponent ( it used to be called a peak 1 IIRC) I moved it on... Good for canoe camping and floundering...

I only have a Model 200 ( a canadian made 200A) gasoline and a Model 249 ( or is it a 243??) in kerosene left currently oh and a 'few' other assorted lanterns 70 assorted stoves and a shed full of other outdoor tat and the odd rifle.. You know how it is Richard.....;)

Cheers

John

Yep, know how it is :) Its a bad sign though when you come across a stove (or stoves) in the garage/lockup you had forgotten you even had :(

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
fuel for (currently) 64p a litre, plenty of heat and light and so far, no failures or pulsing.

I know I made the right decision in choosing Vapalux now;)

Yes you can get unleaded petrol everywhere but you still have to decant it and the explosive risks are horrendous! also £1+ per litre?

So in answer to the OP: ebay your coleman and buy a decent vapalux:D

cheers

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE