Help - cant get bark off

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi All,

Have some oak, 2 pieces of sawn trunk, approx 30cm dia, 6 to 8 inches high.

I didnt remove the bark when green and now cant get it off easily.

Any clues or will i just hack away ?

Also as this is cut crossection of the tree ( ie i can see rings ! ) , will i have a nightmare bowling out across the grain ?

Thanks

Loz

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
JonR is right, get the axe out, hard labour is character forming :D Depending on what you want to make , it may be easier to split the section in halves and carve those. That way you get two bowls, not a bad size at all.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you wrap the bark in really damp newspaper it will absorb some of the moisture and it *might* help peel the bark off. It's a balance though, since you really don't want to soak the timber. I've seen this done with willow and apple but I just don't know if it'll be so effective on oak.

Cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
A forester told me that you can get bark off easily if you use a small spade as a peeler. I have tried it and it did save quite a lot of time. :rolleyes:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Howz about a draw knife? I've just managed to shape a piece of 300 yr old oak (pretty well seasoned ;) ) and after burning out the motor on my electric plane i did the job using time old sweat, tears, rather alot of blood and a draw knife and an old wood chisel. (replacing rotten wood in an old house, in case your wondering)
Leo

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
jojo said:
JonR is right, get the axe out, hard labour is character forming :D Depending on what you want to make , it may be easier to split the section in halves and carve those. That way you get two bowls, not a bad size at all.

Chisel did the job, although took me over 2 hours for the whole piece, can't wait to get stuck in now carving out.

I have two similar peices ( one to be de-barked )

Iwas going to bowl one using embers, and the other my new ( still wrpped unter the xmas tree ) crook knife.

Concerned that using embers on a small peice will split the wood - and way to avoid this ?

Thanks

Loz

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just go steady with the ember burning, don't let the bit of wood get tto hot and I suppose it should be OK, although I've only ever done a spoon with an ember and it took a bit of time.

Let us know how you get on!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE