Help - boxing lion trademark on axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lost in civilisation

Feb 19, 2005
england
can anyone help with this trademark?
5200308d-479f-427c-b092-2cfe57e2141e_zps09e51fa4.jpg

IMAG05431280x766_zpse679fb04.jpg

Thanks
Stu

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Peugeot cars have a rampant lion but the Peugeot Freres company that made tools, like axes, have a walking lion. So I wonder if there could be some sort of transition logo mark? The only thing that clearly doesn't link it to the Peugeot name are the letters under the lion.

Sorry I couldn't help, just seemed to have muddied the waters instead.:dunno:

Lost in civilisation

Feb 19, 2005
england
Peugeot cars have a rampant lion but the Peugeot Freres company that made tools, like axes, have a walking lion. So I wonder if there could be some sort of transition logo mark? The only thing that clearly doesn't link it to the Peugeot name are the letters under the lion.

Sorry I couldn't help, just seemed to have muddied the waters instead.:dunno:

Google shows the Peugot symbol as a lion walking on an arrow, unless anyone else knows different symbols for them.

William Hunt traded with the names of Brades, Giraffe, Stork, E.E.T.C, Pagoda etc. but I can't see a reference to a Lion branded line

Last edited:

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Straw clutching time. Granfors Bruks have the initials of the smith and their trademark ( a crown?) on their axe heads. Might the initials W.E. be a similar thing? The mark seems to be "a lion rampant, with wreath", the wreath being the "rod" it is standing on, which if printed in colour is usually alternating solid colour and metallic silver or gold. I got this from some web sites and a little knowledge (maybe a dangerous thing) so I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about but maybe it might help. I looked on the government website for trademarks and couldnt find a match. Sorry its not much help.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Or it could just mean it was made in Scotland ...

There is at least one British ironworks using a rampant lion still as a trademark but it tends to be wrought iron stuff they make.

Lost in civilisation

Feb 19, 2005
england
I'm amazed nobody can identify this makers mark.

Maybe I should have put Gransfors Bruks in the title, this thread would have gotten 10 x the number of views :pokenest:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a little hatchet with the same mark, I too would like to know the maker. I've searched all over the internet and not come up with anything yet.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think it is a scout hatchet, gilwell park is park used by scouting groups, I dont think gilwell relates to a maker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE