Help a newbie out with his choice of knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tutorp

Dec 21, 2014
Trondheim, Norway
Christmas has just passed, and I'm sitting with a bit of money from my grandparents, part of which I thought I'd use to replace my grandfathers heirloom knife with a new and shiny one (more because it's an heirloom than because it's non-functioning). And so, I've been looking around a bit for a bushcraft knife, found a few knives I quite liked, but I figured I might as well ask around to see if I've missed a good choice, or if anyone have anything to say about the knives I've found. Budget is a maximum of around 90 GBP.

The first and almost obvious choice for a beginner is a Mora. I was thinking one of the Bushcraft ones, as I've heard nothing but good words about them. Cheap, durable, sharp. Does anyone know if the stainless steel version works well with a ferro rod? I live by the coast, so having something stainless wouldn't hurt.

The second one I've been looking at is the Helle Temagami. Once again, stainless steel, this time with a semi-full tang. The main downside to this is that they use layered steel, and I've heard the outer layer is too soft to reliably throw sparks with a ferro rod.

A third knife I am looking at is the Pathfinder Trade Knife. It has gotten good reviews over at the store, and I kinda like the design (that might just mean I've watched too many of Dave Canterburys videos over on Youtube). It's carbon steel, which might be a problem with my coastal location, but I'm fairly sure I'll be able to take well enough care of it. With shipping and everything, this is the priciest of the bunch.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I'm also fairly new to bushcraft. If I had £90 to spend on a knife (or knives) I'd buy a Mora and a Swiss Army Knife and the means to sharpen both. In fact that's what I have :) a Mora with a dayglo orange handle and sheath so I can find it easily; an old Victorinox folder with a blade, saw, cork-screw and tin-opener/bottle-opener/screw-driver; a DC3 sharpener and three other sharpeners in coarse, medium and fine grit. Those were my choices, I'm no expert. I'm sure some of the more experienced people on here will give you some sound advice. All the best.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm, choices. Like Mike afore me said a Mora would be a great choice; though personally I'd get a wee Opinel as my EDK as they are easy to maintain and get wickedly sharp very quickly.
Another knife in your price bracket (and often overlooked would be something like a Karesuando Boar, they come in carbon or stainless blades, in differing sizes and with the choice of whether to have a ferrocum rod holder on the sheath or not. They spark the rods well, take a nice edge, are aesthetically pleasing (well to me) and sit in the hand nicely. I found the one I use outperforms many much more expensive knives I own and so tend to use it more often. It's equally at home in the camp kitchen as it is making feathersticks and the likes.
Though whatever you go for (and some of the very good makers on here may make you one for that price, have an ask around) try to get one in your hand and have a play with it. Everyone is different and we all like different things.
Good luck and be sure to let us know what you go for.
ATB,
GB

Last edited:

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I agree with Goatboy. Although Mora's are nearly perfect, most people want something a bit more fancier after they got their basics down. The Karesuando brand delivers some good knives, the stainless steel is easier to sharpen than other stainless steels I've come across. They spark fire steels without a problem since the spine is nearly 90° (they are rounded of just a little bit but still scrape decent sparks).

I had some use out of the one linked below, very reliable and easy to use.
http://www.heinnie.com/karesuando-knives-wilderness

You can see it in use in this very short video in which we were experimenting with putting a GoPro on your head :) Note that the one who lit the fire should've put his knife back in his sheath the moment he lit the fire (I'm the one with the cap). That's why I stuck it in the log, to make him think: 'How did my knife end up here?!'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIhEVtCFWcw&list=UUMQewx7Ry609esblJN1oy9g

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
I'm looking at up grading from my old mora classic to something like the Lynx has anyone tried one? There are a lot of reviews for its bigger brothers but non I can find on the Lynx. Any other options you could help me with would be brilliant to. In a perfect world it would be about 3.5" blade with a 4" handle.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
If you're not sure yet I would go for a Mora and some decent sharpening stones. For the price they are excellent knives, will take a decent edge, and will teach you what you want out of a knife.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
+1 for the Mora, Clipper or Robust they are great knives, and more than capable of anything you ask of them. Also if you should lose or damage it, while learning how to use/sharpen it correctly, Mora's are cheap enough to replace without hurting the pocket.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm finding that I'm more of a fan of slightly larger blades recently. I'm a huge fan of the Hultafors "Robust" knife. It really is excellent though could do with being slightly more pointy. You wouldn't go far wrong with one of those.

If you're comfortable with your blades I see no reason not to move on up to something a bit more pricey. But if you are still learning your way then the age old Mora/ Hultafors is the way to go. You'll find what you like/ dislike pretty quickly. Coupled with a folding saw and you are sorted.

That Finnish Sissipuuko looks pretty decent actually.

Check out the blades by Condor - I just recently picked up a Condor Varan and it is a great knife, though not exactly pretty to look at. I've bastardised a double sheath for the Varan/ Hultafors. - There isn't much I can't do with this combo.

Don't feel you need to limit yourself to just the one blade. £90 would kit you out pretty well.

All the best
Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spend twenty quid on the knife and seventy on the sharpening system. No point in a fancy blunt knife.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
How about the Bear Grylls ultimate pro? There's a positive review on here some where and it comes with a sharpener! It's just a thought as I have no experience with the knife myself and I'd rather not have a disscusion on who is better, bear or ray! :rolleyes:

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
Btw, I have a few Mora's and they're ace. I also have a few sak's with the wenger EVO grip 18 being about the best for my edc. Hope you find the right tool for you :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm also fairly new to bushcraft. If I had £90 to spend on a knife (or knives) I'd buy a Mora and a Swiss Army Knife and the means to sharpen both. In fact that's what I have :) a Mora with a dayglo orange handle and sheath so I can find it easily; an old Victorinox folder with a blade, saw, cork-screw and tin-opener/bottle-opener/screw-driver; a DC3 sharpener and three other sharpeners in coarse, medium and fine grit. Those were my choices, I'm no expert. I'm sure some of the more experienced people on here will give you some sound advice. All the best.

I'm not new to Bushcraft: I've been doing it for over 60 years, but I'd agree with this. After owning a huge number of knives over the years, my EDC is a SAK camper and in my rucksack is a Mora Companion. It was this site that introduced me to the Mora for which I am grateful. It doesn't have the appeal of the William Rodgers Bushman's friend which my wife gave me over 50 years ago, but it does everything I want and I am not afraid of losing it or having it confiscated by an over-zealous policeman.

tutorp

Dec 21, 2014
Trondheim, Norway
If you're not sure yet I would go for a Mora and some decent sharpening stones. For the price they are excellent knives, will take a decent edge, and will teach you what you want out of a knife.

I suspect that will be what I end up doing. Even if I find myself not entirely happy with it, a Mora would be a good secondary knife, and while I do have some experience handling a knife, I have little experience sharpening one. It would be a shame if I bought a considerably more expensive knife and ended up screwing up the knife learning to sharpen it. Also, it is readily available over here in Norway, which means I can avoid the hassle of either ordering it to a friend inside the EU, or the extra cost of import taxes.

Lynx: That Enzo looks pretty nice, but it seems a bit short for my taste. My grandfathers old knife, the size of which I am quite happy with, is around 4,5-5 inches (I also have a shorter knife, probably around the length of the trapper, which feels too small). I see Enzo has a Camper model at just under 5 inches, though, and a longer (11,5 cm) Trapper version as well, which would probably both be of lengths I'd be happy with. Thanks! (they're also available in Norway, and I've found them as kits to assemble myself, which both makes them a bit cheaper and might be a fun project).

And thank you all for dropping by with advice and suggestions.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
5" is a good all round length n my opinion. Not too large but a lot more knife than a 3-4" blade.

You won't go far wrong with the Mora though. Get a Swiss army knife and a sharpen stone too. ;)

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE