Help a lanky git.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I'm after some new trousers for Scouts. An option in the current uniform is activity trousers, trousers with thigh pockets both sides. Like many troops this is our usual uniform. For some reason the Scout Association supplies various sizes but stop at 34 inch leg. I don't think I'm abnormally tall (spot on six foot), but apparently so!

So can you help? What army surplus tousers can I get in dark blue? I've got a couple of pairs of Thatcherd Uniforms OG trousers in green which I like, but they've both faded pertty quickly, anyone know if the blue option is the same? Got some Crag Hoppers walking trousers at present and they're just not tough enough.

Cheers.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
What leg length do you need? I'm 6'5" and am a 34-36" leg and don't have too much of a problem with the craghopper kiwi trousers in a long leg. Excpet i have to pull em down a bit. LOL

I am about to get a pair of fjallraven trousers though as they come in an unfinished leg length that you can cut to your desired length. they are a tad pricey though

Failing that if the kiwis are not tough enough for you the other option is to call up a surplus shop and see what they have.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I'm 6'5" and have both the Scout trousers and the Craghopper Kiwi's. I've let down the scout trousers a bit as they had quite a long hem and were a tad short - I always use the iron on hemming tape for this and it works quite well and is pretty straightforward (done a few pairs now!).

Have you actually measured the length of the trousers? I always compare them in the shop now and they often vary by a full inch between 3 pairs apparently the same size - shops get most miffed when I ask them for a tape measure and then tell them they're not the right size! If there is more than one pair in your size then it's worth comparing them to each other so that you get the longest pair.

I usually take a 35" leg - from M&S generally as most of theirs are available in that length - not usually very suitable for Scouts though.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Rohan Bags have an 'unfinished' leg, allowing you to take them up as far as needed. A tad pricey though ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE