Hello-New to the forum from Maine, U.S.A.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello Everyone -

I recently purchased a Swedish 35L backpack and I came across the opinions of it on this forum. I am really impressed with this pack! Another member of this board mentioned that there is a 70L pack available. Does anyone have any additional information about it?

I recently became interested in "being prepared" and woodcraft.

I hope to be a productive member of this board and learn more about bushcraft. Maine is currently 90% forest!

Could some of you please give me your recomendations on reading material to understand the philosophy of bushcraft?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Ridge Runner :pack:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Warm welcome to BCUK! Main sounds excellent!

For a comprehensive list of books, check out this link: http://store.bushcraftuk.net/

These are from Amazon.co.uk but you can get most in the US, either through Amazon.com or other retailer.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Ridge Runner said:
Hello Everyone -

I recently purchased a Swedish 35L backpack and I came across the opinions of it on this forum. I am really impressed with this pack! Another member of this board mentioned that there is a 70L pack available. Does anyone have any additional information about it?

I recently became interested in "being prepared" and woodcraft.

I hope to be a productive member of this board and learn more about bushcraft. Maine is currently 90% forest!

Could some of you please give me your recomendations on reading material to understand the philosophy of bushcraft?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Ridge Runner :pack:

Hi and welcome on aboard!
I am from sweden and would like to know what is the swedish 35 L backpack you bought, is that the army pack with a metal frame?
// Abbe

Adi007 said:
Warm welcome to BCUK! Main sounds excellent!

For a comprehensive list of books, check out this link: http://store.bushcraftuk.net/

These are from Amazon.co.uk but you can get most in the US, either through Amazon.com or other retailer.

Thank you for the welcome........

I am very excited about learning more about all of you and where you live.

If anyone has any questions about the state of Maine I would be happy to answer them for you. I know I will have a lot of questions for you.

By the way.....The Northern part of Maine already has about 6 inches of snow!

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
welcome im new to this my self and just getting my kit to gether the guys and girls on hear have been grate and have saved me pounds from buying stuff thats no good or i don't need. anything you want to no just ask they haven't laughed at me yet:eek:): were you live sound lovely

Abbe Osram said:
Hi and welcome on aboard!
I am from sweden and would like to know what is the swedish 35 L backpack you bought, is that the army pack with a metal frame?
// Abbe

Yes it is. I am very happy with it. It is made of Cordura and is a very simple, solid and functional backpack.

If anyone has pictures of how it is used in the military, I would appreciate it.

What gear is typically stored?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Welcome.

The Swedish make some great winter and woodland kit for thier forces. You'll find the Swedish army mess kit a perrenial favourite here, and no doubt stored in the pack you have.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Ridge Runner said:
Hello Everyone -

I have a both the 35L version and the 70L version of the swedish packs. These packs have been replaced with new packs so that is why they have started to be very common in surplus shops. So you can get a used 70Lack for £10-15 and a new cost about the double so you get pretty much for the money.
Here are some pics of the 70L version

112539.jpg

112540.jpg

Viking, Are the 70L packs made out of canvas or cordura? I have never seen one before.

Could you (or anyone) provide some websites that sell them? If you know of any here in the U.S.A. I would appreciate it.

How does it compare quality wise to the 35L packs? What are the areas that it excells? What are the negative aspects of the backpack.

Thank you....

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
A very big Weclome Ridge Runner :wave:

Viking I think Ridge runners asked all the question. You are now going to have give us a comprehensive review of the 70L pack. From the picks it looks cool but tell us more.

James

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Ridge Runner said:
Viking, Are the 70L packs made out of canvas or cordura? I have never seen one before.

Could you (or anyone) provide some websites that sell them? If you know of any here in the U.S.A. I would appreciate it.

How does it compare quality wise to the 35L packs? What are the areas that it excells? What are the negative aspects of the backpack.

Thank you....

It´s made out of canvas leather and steel except the snowlocks that are made out of polyester. The shoulder straps are more padded then on the 35L pack. The frame is almost exactly as the one on the 35L pack. The 70L has a waist best that is more of a belt (no plastic buckles). It has 2 sidepocket that are pretty small and you can tuck in your ski´s behind them and in that way carry your ski´s on your pack (or maybe an axe or two) there is also is a front pocket that are big enought to fit a trangia 25, it also has 2 pockets in the lid one on the outside and one on the inside.

When it comes to using the bag it´s surpringly comfort to carry, I have used it fully packed (around 20kg) and had no problems at all, the rucksack was very stable on my back. It´s a lot bigge then the 70L it says and since it´s a frame pack yu can pack a lot on the ouside too. The good thing with this pack is that nothing can go wrong, since it´s all canvas and leather anythings is easy to repair. The only really bad thing I can think of with this pack is that is made of canvas and and sucks water like sponge but with a good raincover or poncho that is no problem.

These packs are being replaced by a newer model so I would not be surpised if they were to show up on surplus stores in the US and UK. The only place I have seen them are here in sweden and I don´t think the shops ship abroad, the P/P would cost more then the pack istelf =)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE