Hello from Wiltshire! With Questions!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Hi folks I'm a newbie to bush-craft I've spent the two years at college and have taken up in my spare time hiking and solo camping. All I've done currently is simple canal walks and overnight camps I'm also a keen cycler and wish to take up touring. After college I believe I will spend some time cycling to lands end from my home-town and perhaps take it further. I am now much more concerned about what I will be doing once night falls on a cycling trip or a hiking trip. Currently all I use is a two person tent or a bivy bag and set up for an overnight stay and I am uncomfortable having little to no knowledge of bush-craft. Although on tours and hiking trips I should have a camp-site or a hotel to lay my head I do want to be flexible and spend several days out in the wilderness should I need to. I have a few questions and if any of you folks could answer them I would appreciate it!

1. What is in your opinion the best digital resource for someone who wants to get into bush-craft? Particularly bush-craft based in the UK?
2. What is in your opinion the best knife for a newbie ideally around the £30 mark?
3. For building shelters should I purchase a axe or a machete? From research a machete is cheaper?
4. Are bush-craft courses worth the fee? and what courses would you recommend?
and finally
5. Do you know any decent spots for solo wild camping near and in Wiltshire?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Welcome indeed.
1.You seem to have found the best digital resource on bushcraft in the UK already!
2.Get a Mora and save the other £20+ to put a decent first aid kit together!
3.I would choose an axe.Many folks find machetes very scary.But I would worry about carrying one on a bike in the UK.The knife should be enough if it's sharp.If you need to cut bigger stuff use a Laplander saw.Not scary but very effective and hard to cut yourself with.
4.If you use a reputable one , I'd say yes.It is a very steep learning curve but also inspiring and fun.

I don't know Wiltshire much at all so can't help there.I'm sure that there is a group near you though.Look in the forum.
Have fun and ask lots of questions.You will be amazed at the skills and knowledge base on this forum.I am ... continually.
Cheers , Simon

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hi and welcome
I am very close to you just up the canal actually. I cycle and Bushcraft as well

In answer to your questions -just from my perspective others will have equally valid answers so reflect on whats best for your circumstances

1. What is in your opinion the best digital resource for someone who wants to get into bush-craft? Particularly bush-craft based in the UK?
Its fairly reasonable to say you have joined the best digital resource in the UK

2. What is in your opinion the best knife for a newbie ideally around the £30 mark?
Fixed blade-Mora or maybe a Hultafors for a first knife coupled with a Victorinox Camper,Hiker or Farmer

3. For building shelters should I purchase a axe or a machete? From research a machete is cheaper?
I would say you are better off with a Bahco folding saw

4. Are bush-craft courses worth the fee? and what courses would you recommend?
A basic course is definitely worth the fee Depends on what you want a cheaper and more informal way is to get along to some meets and you will find people are happy to share skills and knowledge-Then you can pick particular course that interest you

and finally
5. Do you know any decent spots for solo wild camping near and in Wiltshire?

Ha Ha yes I do PM me.there are a few of us around and some great meets on Dartmoor and S Wales
I am taking a bimble tomorrow and you are welcome to join me

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I am just up the road too. Steve, we must sort something soon, it has been a long time.

Maybe a mini meet around here, I have permission in a small wood.

Richard

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I feel a Wiltshire meet coming on which would be a great thing
unijaw if this comes off you will meet two highly skilled people in their field (Dougster and fish) and me
Luck boy
We are all good at drinking beer though

fozzy

Nov 21, 2009
lancashire UK
I don't post very much, but can tell you there are very knowledgeable and very nice folks on here . You have come to the best source of info for bush Bushcraft . Do your research on carrying knives in the UK . You Tube have some excellent videos on this subject . Most of all , it's about having fun , enjoy .:)

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Welcome indeed.

3.I would choose an axe.Many folks find machetes very scary.But I would worry about carrying one on a bike in the UK.The knife should be enough if it's sharp.If you need to cut bigger stuff use a Laplander saw.Not scary but very effective and hard to cut yourself with.
Yes I felt that getting a machete would simply be intimidating not only for me but for other people as well. Thanks all of you for your welcoming messages and advice :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I am from wiltshire too.

I have never been on a course, and in spite of being here a long time; dont know much.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
we cirtainly do need to plan a wiltshire meet,Bush farm ( where the wilderness gathering is held) is open again for bushy camping in march if theres any intrest.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
You have hit pay-dirt Unijaw. 1. Because you have come to the right place. 2. Because plastic-ninja has given you great answers. And 3. Because you have got a reply from Steve (aka redandshane). A man who can live well on little more than fresh air, his knowledge and a few beers. :)

Follow through and meet up. You won't be disappointed.

GM

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Although i'm living up north in Runcorn, Wiltshire is my home county, if you do look at doing a meet i wouldn't mind jumping along. as for places to camp, i know a few forests in Swindon that don't object to people crashing in them, or at least they didn't a few years ago, not so sure now.

Comfy

Hi :) I live just up the road (on camp at Boscombe Down) and would be interested in meeting up for a small gathering.
Work is a bit busy for a few weeks though, but I am flexible (most nights of the week ok with a little notice).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE