Hello from West Oxfordshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
...sounds a bit like the Eurovision! haha

Hi all,

I've been checking out the forum's here for some time now as I have been slowly getting enough gear together to enable me to get out and about more.

I used to camp a lot when I was younger, and have a real love for the outdoors and particularly all aspects of bushcraft but, due to most of my friends being in London and Derby (and to be honest not having the same real interest in bushcraft as I do), I've only managed a 5 day trip to Wales and a night out with my son (5) at the Uffington White Horse.

The missus definitely isnt interested :)nono: quel surprise!) and thinks I am a complete caveman, and the kids have hampered efforts too, so I am hunting for some like minded folks to maybe get together in Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire. I'm also planning to come to this years Bushmoot too as it sounds amazing! :)

Compared to some of the people on here I am still a complete bushcraft newbie, but am super keen to learn some new skills and put into practise some of the things I have avidly read about for so long.

Anyways, thats the story, so now i just gotta sit back and await the pearls of wisdom! ;)

Chris

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
haha, what's UP with that!?!

I managed to drag her and the kids down to the blackdown hills to stay in a Yurt for a week last summer. It was in a stunning setting, 3 eco-yurts on 10 acres of land, surrounded by the beautiful blackdown hills, but even though I woke up first every morning, fetched water and firewood from the bottom of the hill, got the log burner going, made tea and breakfast.....she still griped all week! lol

Musta been in incessant rain! ;) Still, I rigged up my tarp to give us a sheltered place to eat, so it wasnt THAT bad!

C

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
In my youth I spent a night in Waylands Smithy - just up the track from the White Horse - and it proved a great custom built bivvi...though not everyone will think sleeping in an open grave ideal....

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Hi Chris (and Snowfire come to that) welcome to the forum. I haven't been on for a while so didn't see your post but if I had I would have responded sooner. :welcome1:

There are a few of us around Oxfordshire and there was a move to have some get togethers a while back. I didn't make it due to the birth of my son but if you look in the meets section you'll see a few more from this area.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Thanks guys. It's good to hear from you!

I'm planning a 5 day trip to the Aran ridge in Bala, N Wales in April. Found a really good website with lots of useful info an tips - http://v-g.me.uk/index.htm - maybe you know it already?

Also planning on a night or two out on Dartmoor. Any tips of where to camp, and if you can get away with fires? Practicing the art of LNT (leave no trace) of course!

I'm also hoping to get a couple of nights out on the ridgeway soon, to test out my new tent. Perhaps I'll check out the Waylands Smithy, although I aint sure of sleeping actually inside it to be honest! ;)

Anyways, I'd be interested in getting a meet together of the Oxfordshire clan. Does anyone know of any land we could use? I live near Wychwood, but I know that's not on the cards.

C

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Anyways, I'd be interested in getting a meet together of the Oxfordshire clan. Does anyone know of any land we could use? I live near Wychwood, but I know that's not on the cards.

Chris,
Not sure if you know but 'The Bushcraft Company' run courses from Wychwood forest. I have contacted them but they were not too enthusiastic about us having an informal gathering there due to their 'exclusive' use of the estate for courses. I didn't bother pushing it further. :rolleyes:

There are a few other places I am looking into this year all being well but I wouldn't hold your breath.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hi Guys,

Sorry I have been a bit crap at replying!

No, I wasnt aware about the Bushcraft Company, Bob, but I've had a look at their website now. Ideal to send my son when he's a little older, but it would only be to get him outta my hair for a bit one summer; I'd much rather he learnt from the old man! (assuming that the old man has anything to teach him of course, still a comparative greenhorn!) lol ;)

I'll get busy trying to work on some vague contacts I have with Lord Rotherick. Never know, that might turn something up.

Have there been Oxfordshire meets before that you know of? There must be quite a bunch of us huh?

C

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Greetings CWILLSON and welcome from another West Oxfordshire lad!

I went up to the white horse / wayland smithy just before christmas and was thinking what a brilliant place it would be for an over-nighter! Its a really atmospheric place. When i went it was misty and you could only see about 30 yarsd in front of you!

I am also planning a camping trip on Dartmoor somethime in March or April, and am off camping in wales at the end of feb - i think you might be my long lost twin, lol!!

BB

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Have there been Oxfordshire meets before that you know of? There must be quite a bunch of us huh?

If you search on Oxford meets you will find some posts of previous get togethers. Unfortunately I have been unable to get to them for one reason or another but there are a few others.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE