Hello from Scunthorpe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Hi my name's Alan and I live near Scunthorpe N.Lincs.

I have just recently got into bushcraft, and completed the Woodlore Fundamental course.

I am keen to "get back out there" but I don't know of any bushcraft friendly sites in or around my area. Transport is not a problem, but I would rather not go as far as wales or Scotland on too regular a basis.

In real life I am married with kids , cats and dogs. I work at a Data Management company based in Scunny. My family are just getting into camping as a means of getting away from it all for a few days, but I want to go a wee bit further.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful.

Cheers, Alan.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I just knew I recognised that name,
Welcome aboard Alan, its good to see you here.
Can't help with your "where to go" query but you'd be welcome here in Wales anytime!
Enjoy the site and get stuck in.

ATB

Ogri the trog

PS, have you finished your spoon yet?

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Thanks Ogri,
you must explain the origin of that name some time.

I may take you up on the Welsh connection some time.
In the mean time I am looking at some of the estates in the area, we have quite a few gentry up here so I'm hoping that one or more will be amenable.

Cheers, Alan.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
And no I haven't finished my spoon yet. I was hoping to do that in the garden, but it's a building site at the mo' so it's a little difficult.
I haven't given up on it though.

Did you get yours done?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
It all sounds a bit "smoke & mirrors" but,
it comes from being a bit of an Ex biker - there used to be a cartoon strip in Bike magazine staring the character. The Trog comes from being a big lumbering oaf sometimes, reminiscent of a character in the Sinbad films of old.
Anyway I've hurried out and taken a photo of the spoon....
IMG_1492.jpg

...quite pleased, even if I do say so myself.
As to finding suitable practice land... there has been talk recently of asking for land on which to "watch wildlife" & "investigate the flora and fauna", rather than ask if you can "burn down yer woods mister!" Kind of a low level approach to get your name known.

ATB

Ogri the trog

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Are the woods around tuplin's pond still there, we used camp there when I was little. It's been a while though, we moved from Broughton in1970.
Welcome Subedarmajor ENJOY.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Are the woods around tuplin's pond still there, we used camp there when I was little. It's been a while though, we moved from Broughton in1970.

Yes my stomping ground!

Probably changed a little since you where here!

Regards

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Thanks all for the welcome, Pignut how are you fixed over the next few weekends?
We will have to sort out meeting up.
leon-1 is that your website in your sig?

Thanks again chaps, and particularly Ogri for telling me about this place.
Cheers, Alan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE