Hello from Nova Scotia!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello all,
So I'm not a Brit, nor am I living in the UK, but you guys seem to have the best online community around so I thought I'd sign up!

My name is Hugh and I'm originally from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. I did a Masters in Physics at the university there, and left in January of 2011 to move to Halifax, Nova Scotia for work. I'm currently working as a technical sales rep dealing with microscopes.

My father was a big hunter, but more on the modern side when it came to the outdoors. Motor boats, atvs, and our cabin had a satelite dish with TV. Growing up, I hated fishing, and rabbit hunting. I found it "boring." Too me, it seemed like my father would take me out in the woods, make me sit on a rock, and be quiet all day. Not very attractive to a young kid, at least to me.

I'm not sure what sparked the interest, I think it was episodes of Survivor Man (Les Stroud), but in the late summer of 2011, I got interested in survival skills. I realized I had very little outdoors experience, and that if push came to shove, I wouldn't be able to make a fire or shelter. I made a lean-to once in Air Cadet camp, but that was a long time ago. Then I started watching Ray Mears. That's when I really got the bug to get out there. So I bought a bit of kit and practiced a bit. Since then I've bought a canoe, and spent a 4 day trip in the back country Kejimkujik national park here in Nova Scotia (last summer). This was in back country campsites that had a wood supply and firepit, but it was a great way to dip my toes in without taking too much of a risk. I feel pretty comfortable at this point spending a few days in the woods. Still have a long way to go.

My goal this summer is to spend a lot more time in the bush. I've been tenting it, so I'm going to try just going with a tarp at some point, and I also want to try fire by friction, as well as practice other survival/bush skills. And also just to enjoy the beautiful outdoors we have here!

Hopefully you'll see some more from me here, but not too much, I want to use my time to get out in the woods!

Hugh

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi Hugh and welcome.
I'm hoping to travel all the way to Nova Scotia to practice my skills next year in a proper wilderness.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE