Hello from Costa Rica

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
I just came across this forum and it looks very nice so decided to pop in. In 2017 after retiring from a large Fire Department in the States my family and I moved to Costa Rica. We live up in the mountains about an hour from the coast, a quiet little coffee town with no tourism. I really enjoy the climate and amazing views of the forest here.
I've been involved with bushcraft and the like since I can remember, always trying to learn a bit more.
Thanks for letting into the forum, I'm looking forward to picking up some new ideas!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I just came across this forum and it looks very nice so decided to pop in. In 2017 after retiring from a large Fire Department in the States my family and I moved to Costa Rica. We live up in the mountains about an hour from the coast, a quiet little coffee town with no tourism. I really enjoy the climate and amazing views of the forest here.
I've been involved with bushcraft and the like since I can remember, always trying to learn a bit more.
Thanks for letting into the forum, I'm looking forward to picking up some new ideas!

Very nice, I'd love to see and hear more about the area.

Reactions: Rockfarm

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Welcome to the forum!

I am sure we would all be interested in any bushcraft stuff you care to share that relates to the Costa Rican environment. Very different from what we have on the islands here!

Chris

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
Welcome to the forum!

I am sure we would all be interested in any bushcraft stuff you care to share that relates to the Costa Rican environment. Very different from what we have on the islands here!

Chris
Thank you, I was very familiar with the forests of central USA but our new home has a serious learning curve! Lol

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Hi
That sounds great, what area are you in?

We've been lucky enough to go to Costa Rica twice and tour round.
In some ways CR reminded of Australia in that you can drive from dry arid grassland to rain forest, or snow to tropical heat without leaving the country.
The difference is in CR you only have to drive for a couple of hours to reach a different habitat. sometimes completely different species live within a few hundred metres of each other but will mingle because the environment can change that quickly, cloud forests are a prime example.
The Osa is an amazing place too.

Welcome to the forum

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
Hi
That sounds great, what area are you in?

We've been lucky enough to go to Costa Rica twice and tour round.
In some ways CR reminded of Australia in that you can drive from dry arid grassland to rain forest, or snow to tropical heat without leaving the country.
The difference is in CR you only have to drive for a couple of hours to reach a different habitat. sometimes completely different species live within a few hundred metres of each other but will mingle because the environment can change that quickly, cloud forests are a prime example.
The Osa is an amazing place too.

Welcome to the forum
About an hour north of San Jose in the mountains at 3500', the towns name is Palmares. Your absolutely right about all the different micro climates, an hour in any direction noticable changes the scenery! In almost 4 years here the high/low on daily temperature is 78° during the day and 60° at night. So no need for heat or AC...we literally never shut the windows and the doors are open all day. That's such a huge change from the Ozarks! Lol As soon as I learn how to post a picture here I'll send a few of the area. I haven't been to Osa....yet but everything that I have heard is great!

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
IMG-20210706-073814.jpg
Here's a local creek

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Welcome!

I think Costa Rica s the best choice for bushcraft because you can live in a sugar cane hut and rost your own foraged coffee.
If I think about, it's probably the only country in the world where long time wilderness survival would be possible. Also because you can find there a friendly parrot for talking about the nice weather.

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
Welcome!

I think Costa Rica s the best choice for bushcraft because you can live in a sugar cane hut and rost your own foraged coffee.
If I think about, it's probably the only country in the world where long time wilderness survival would be possible. Also because you can find there a friendly parrot for talking about the nice weather.
Yes, your home definitely does not need insulation and coffee is abundant!

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE