Hello BcUK!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SiriusB

Sep 19, 2006
Manchester, UK
Hello everyone!

I have been lurking here for the past week after having my interest in bushcraft sparked again after stumbling across a different website on fire-by-friction methods! While I say sparked again, I don't really have that much experience in bushcraft other than what I have learned in all my years of camping and hiking.

I hope with the help of this website and community that will change!

I absolutely love the outdoors and being a poor student bum who doesn't drive [yet] it isn't very often that I can get anyway to experience the outdoors. Living in Manchester the proper outdoors is miles away.

However, given half a chance [and the possibility of a lift] you can't keep me away! In fact I am going on a long-weekender to Snowdonia at the end of the week. Snowdonia is my favourite place in all the world and I have been camping there at least once a year since I was 4 years old! It is only in the last 4 or 5 years I have taken an active interest and love of hiking, so Snowdonia, and other places, has been rediscovered to some extent - not many parents let pre-teen kids go wandering up mountains!

I know bushcraft is something that lasts a lifetime and there will still be more to learn but already I have learned a number of things in just this past week of lurking. For instance I have a good theoretical knowledge of making my own knife from scratch and also how to throw up a hammock using the Evenk knot. For shame on Mr Mears calling it a Syberian knot - took me ages to find its real name!

The laws surrounding illegal wild camping and the like have also been an interesting read and I shall be sure to avoid doing that...again...much....!

I shall leave the introduction there - I wouldn't want to give away everything on my first day. :)

SiriusB

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
A warm welcome Sirius from one city dweller to another. Escapes are important!!

Glad to here you were looking into friction fire. Ever tried it?

SiriusB

Sep 19, 2006
Manchester, UK
rich59 said:
A warm welcome Sirius from one city dweller to another. Escapes are important!!

Glad to here you were looking into friction fire. Ever tried it?

Escapes are important! Gets boring looking at the same thing every day!

I have tried fire by friction and have had mixed results. I haven't tried recently as there is no decent wood to practice with near to where I live. A neighbour is planning on pruning some branches on a tree in his garden so I may offer to take them off his hands.

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome. When I get stuck into a forum you can't get rid of me so expect to see me mooching around!

SiriusB

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hello and welcome to BCUK Sirius glad you like the place all my formative outdoors stuff was done in Snowdonia I have a very warm place in my heart. enjoy it and be safe :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE