Hello all!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
Just to say hi and introduce myself really, been spending a lot of time in the outdoors since I was in my teens, not so long ago! :) Im a bit of a coastal camper as well really, kind of my dwelling and often take the Canadian canoe which I find has soo many different uses and puts up with the sea!

Found the website about a year ago but thought I would sign up to get chattin to some of you folks as where I am from theres not really anyone I know interested in bushcraft etc.

I am from the UK (IOW), but in South America for 2 more weeks, was in the Amazon a few weeks ago, learning a lot about how the natives live which was an eye opener.

Hoping to get along to a meet, but where and when are they?

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Welcome, Bongo Matt. There are some very nice and very smart people on here, who can guide you on just about any subject.

Happy trolling through the posts!

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Hi Matt, welcome to the forum, you must love living on the Isle of Wight, I've always wanted to visit such a beautiful part of the country, it's just a bit difficult persuading friends or family members to keep me company on the long drive!

Please feel free to ask questions, even if you feel they are silly!

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
Greetings chap! How is the I of W for bushcraft type camping?
Anyway welcome and enjoy.
C da C.

Yeah its actually quite good, you can practically camp on most beaches that obviously arent private and thats not in front of a town or promenade, with not being any problem, the police sometimes do a little night beat in some places and they just say hello as they walk past (good indication that its legal and we do ask if its ok), in fact I have found a few places where not many people go, including Luccombe bay which is quite difficult to access (best at lowtide from Shanlklin) but has an undercliff of forest, that is owned by the landowner who owns the forest estate on top of the cliff. But the grounds keeper a long time ago said to me its fine to camp there and make fires (I use a fireplace on the beach and burn mainly driftwood). It once used to be a fishing village but no houses left now. Not had any problems at all and I have been visiting the place for years.

There are a lot of resources there including seafish, the bait can be dug on the beach! Ive got a net and some lobster and shrimp pots too, there are winkles, whelk and limpets on the shore, rabbits in the gorse further along, loads of wild garlic and plenty of fruits including strawberrys and blackberrys, there is a fast flowing stream that has calved the chine which I have been using as a water supply for years with no problems.

When I return to the UK I guess I will be down there for a month or so tinkering about....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE