Helle Eggen???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
After giving the matter a lot of thought I have now decided to fork out some money for a Helle Eggen knife. Is there anyone on here who'd advise me against it? Or somebody who actually wants to get rid of one?
Thank you all

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Been using one for about 15 years, been excellent in all respects except striking sparks from a fero rod, which you can do but only right at the tip as shown by Paul Kirtly.. I hot waxed the sheath on mine which improved it no end.

Dave

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated and yes, the Eggen it is even though I briefly flirted with the idea of the Viking.......but the decision is now made !!! Just having to wait until they tell me it's back in stock for £60
Thanks again

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd say don't buy one, if.. you have actual man hands. The finger guard seems to be designed to accommodate for thin fingers and short Knuckle spans. I'm assuming small to medium hands without chunky digits, a youngster or female?

Having meat fists it was far too uncomfy to use, so on a shelf it went until I got rid of it. A real shame it was very nice looking, the blade was well ground and polished, the steel is good and even the sheath was nice.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ioMRqB0.jpg

See the almost hooked finger guard? It would only be comfotable for me if that was filed off and made straighter, something I had no intentions of doing..

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hot waxing is working hot beeswax into the leather to strengthen and harden the leather and improve resistance to water. With something like a sheath you can also re-shape it to some extent to make it fit the knife better. Works on pistol holsters too. It will darken the leather and make it feel harder.

Dave

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
It's done for the reasons just as the fellah's say.
Personally, I boil up a tall tin and just dip the item for 3 or 4 seconds, having learnt the hard way that any more dipping time than this,will tend to bring in some pretty dramatic amounts of shrinkage.
I found it best to hang the item on a cord, balanced so the object can rapidly drain off the excess, but any over-waxed bits, (mostly along welts), can be reduced by a quick,(but usually messy) application of the heat from my wife's 11th hair-dryer.
Ceeg

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I've had an Eggen for years and find the handle comfortable, if a wee bit neat in terms of size. The steel is good and easy to sharpen. As said, a bit rubbish at throwing sparks although the Paul Kirtley method works!

Not my main user now and it has developed some hairline cracks in the handle at the guard end, where it looks like the wood at the guard might break off.
It hasn't yet though and it hasn't made use it any less vigorously.
Keep thinking of returning itfor replacement, haven't quite got round to it!

I like it lots!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE