Helle Eggen help needed please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
:sadwavey: Eh up... looking at getting my first knife and the Helle Eggen has really caught my eye :rolleyes:

Anyone know the best place to buy one? Or looking at selling one ;)

Or just general comments on it :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I have Helle Saro as one of my two knives. I think that one is good because of three things. It has a quite long, thin blade, is sharply pointed and the blade is not too wide. And not least: It is cheap.

Though the Eggen seems like a nice buy, for a first one, I'd rather go with a cheap one, where you can really hands dirty without fear of ruining that nice handle. :D

First on the top of google was this one: http://www.heinnie.com/cgi-bin/heinnie_store/web_store.cgi?page=helle/fr-helle.htm&cart_id=

The don't seem to carry Saro.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
I've heard a lot of good things about Helle for starter blades (some still using them years on!)

Was originally thinking bout £30, but it being xmas n'all think i might stretch it a bit :)

Looks like a nice comfy handle too :)

Thanks for the find of 'Heinnie' Torjusg.. looks like a good place for knives!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hi Woodmunky. I have a helle eggen and I think that perhaps the Fjellkniven might be a better style of knife for your first bushy. It has a narrower blade than the eggen which will help in carving and a finer point. The eggen also has a very deep handle which I found a little uncomfortable after prolonged use, not a major problem as it is easy to shape the handle to fit better but not something you will perhaps want to do on your first knife. The eggen is a fine skinner though, and I have no gripes about its quality.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Eggen or Fjellkniven... i have to admit the Fjellkniven does look like it would offer a finer edge for detailed working?

They're are both basically the same size i see... slightly smaller blade on the Fjellkniven, but that doesn't bother me :)

Well it's really a matter of weighing the two up now i guess!

Was 90% on the Eggen... think now i'm 50/50 on the Eggen and Fjellkniven LOL Both look like perfect starter bushy knives!

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
woodmunky said:
:sadwavey: Eh up... looking at getting my first knife and the Helle Eggen has really caught my eye :rolleyes:

Anyone know the best place to buy one? Or looking at selling one ;)

Or just general comments on it :)
Hi Steve
I have purchased a couple of Helle Knives from this seller on Ebay.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/helle_W0QQ...QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsassZbassin31QQsbrsrtZd
He is in the states but is great on comms and does not charge huge shipping fees, with the £-$ exchange rate fairly good at the moment it was the cheapest way to purchase.
I hope this is of use
Charlie

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
I've given the guy an email, so hopefully he might have some... ya never know :)

Eggen or Fjellkniven still the question for me lol I do like the sturdy look of the Eggen, but Fjellkniven is a finer blade... AGGHH! decisions lol

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Spacemonkey said:
I've got one and love it, but you won't get sparks of a firesteel flint thing if that's important to you. The outer steel is too soft for that.

Are you sure it is too soft? The scraper following my firesteel when I bought it is made of crappy steel, but still throws sparks.
Try squaring off the back of the knife blade with a dremel or similar.

Tor

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
woodmunky said:
Out of interest chas... which ones did you get? :)
Hi Steve
I have got a Helle Fjellkniven which performs really well, the wife brought herself a Helle Odell which she is really pleased with.
I did not go down the full tang woodlore style knife root, initially because I hope to make my own fairly soon. This way I will have two options the Helle will complement a full tang knife well.
Both the Helles hold a really sharp edge, I hope this helps
Chas :rolleyes:

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
I'm not overly bothered about the strike for a spark, i've been using my old firesteel for a while and i just use the blade that comes with it... cheap and chearful, but it's always done the job :)

Eventually i think i'll probably buy an F1 blade and make my own, but for now i'm gonna treat myself to the.....

*drum role please*

Eggen :) was a toughy, but i have a couple of smaller knives that work well for those little tasks... thanks for all ur help! Will be posting pics when i get it at xmas! it's my prezie to me LOL

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
:)

I have a helle futura and its my baby :rolleyes: had it for about a year now and is heavily used but still looks great. Only slight down side is they can be a bit of a pig to sharpen being tripple lam. Trust me and buy yer self a 1000/6000 wetstone plus a nugara stone from www.axminster.co.uk the whole lot delivered for about 18 squid. This will help you to keep your knife in tip top plus keep that shaving sharp edge plus and mirror finish.

Is it wrong to love yer knife this much ? :lmao:

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
I've since acquired a Helle Eggen with nice custom sheath... was gonna post a thread about keeping it sharp and clean, thats links perfect!!! :)

Thanks for that Dwardo... will most deffinitely be getting one of those!

edit: Found the waterstone (bout £14) but can't find the nugara individually? :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE