Helikon SFU trousers any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has used the Helikon SFU trousers and found them any good?

After a pair of gen purpose outdoor trousers but don't want to pay fjallraven prices!

If people have used them what is the fit like? Don't want mc hammer pants!

Cheers all!

Paul.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I wear them. sizing is a little weird though have a pair in coyote that fit fine bought same size in black and they were a lot tighter. Ended up having to pass them onto my skinner brother.

Nice tough trousers though

Orric

Last edited:

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Good trousers but the fit is weird as Orric says. They have quite baggy legs I think. You can send stuff back with Military1st if you don't like the fit.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Also they tend to split the stitching at the crotch etc ,could do with using stronger thread on them.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
The Helikon SFU wouldn't fit over my thighs.

5.11 trousers do, as do other US brands.

I'm not fat, but more of a (lean, cyclist and former rugby player) 'comfort fit' chap than 'skinny'.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Also they tend to split the stitching at the crotch etc ,could do with using stronger thread on them.

Quite the opposite. Stronger thread and the cloth might break. A softer seam (e.g. a chainstitch) and you would gain flexibility. They should have used another seam type or have better control over quality.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Frankly I started off liking mine then squatted in them to do something and riiiip.

Daughter sowed them. Riiiip.

Double threaded them riiiip.

Bought pair of 5.11s - no rips -now own 3 pairs of 5.11's and the quality difference is huge. Crotch design is built for movement.

Someone on the Bay was doing 5.11 for £26 a pair. Save grief and get them. I'm now quite anti Helikon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Frankly I started off liking mine then squatted in them to do something and riiiip.

Daughter sowed them. Riiiip.

Double threaded them riiiip.

Bought pair of 5.11s - no rips -now own 3 pairs of 5.11's and the quality difference is huge. Crotch design is built for movement.

Someone on the Bay was doing 5.11 for £26 a pair. Save grief and get them. I'm now quite anti Helikon.

Aha, badly cut. Weird actually, you kind of would have thought soldiers would like kneeling. Makes me smug in my persuasion that fit is at best an afterthought in todays clothing design. Maybe helikon have worse cut than the genuine article? Or are they not the same? I thought helikon were an exact clone of the current US BDU, much like propper were the same as the M65 BDU?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Couldn't tell you. I thought they looked good and would give me the mobility I need.

Waste of coin!

Seller of 5.11 stuff on eBay is 888gear. £27.95

Last edited:

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
I've had mine for over a year now and they are literally the only trousers I wear if I'm not wearing shorts.

In that time the only things that have broken on them are the top button - which I sewed back on, and the belt tightener thingys - I just use a belt instead. I personally find them really comfy, a little baggy - which is what I prefer, surprisingly water resistant, lots of big pockets, and very tough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE